Mystery at Index???

Yossarian

Numerous theories have surfaced concerning the purpose of the tunnel drilled into the lower town wall. Is it the UW's "G-13" grow lab? A sanctuary for bolt-chopping gnomes? Or merely a pathway into the center of the Earth. The mystery will be unvieled this weekend with a case of Hefe, and a large sledge hammer.

Or, an insider could break silence, confidence will be assured.

The truth is out there...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The UW is conducting gravity research using the mass of the cliff as the gravity source. They test the relative speed of beryllium and magnesium in free fall. And that is the real story.

[This message has been edited by danielpatricksmith (edited 07-05-2001).]

The Index guide is correct the tunnel was originally used to test tunneling equipment check out this site: Robbinstbm.com. The UW began to use the site after Robbins cleared out. Before the access road to the tunnel was graded the whole area in front of the wall was a swampy mess much of the year.

uw is going to miving their experiment over near hanford. iwas talking to bro awhile back and he showed me the whole set up....

the conversation went like this.....

uw...blah....blah....................................................................................................gravity........................................................ ...........radiation........................................5th phd...........................................................boeing...............................................blah...blah...............hanford..................neutrino...... ..............have a nice day.

all the blanks was homeboy getting excited and explaining the whole process. i finally got that blank stare that my girlfriend gives me when i talk about lcimbing....hmmmm

The tunnel? Could be just about anything, couldn't it? Miles Mellough knew what it was all about...he offered to tell, but his price was too high. He was hinting around 'bout some kind of germ formula that a guy named Wormwood lost his life tring to conceal. I couldn't see where he was going with this, but he also mentioned some guy named Freitag, some guy whose family made bugspray. That's right, Freitag..makes noise like a leader. Got a lot of money but doesn't like to talk about it. Ist das kein Moglichkeit, dass Karl fur die Ubermensch im Indexischen Bergloch arbeitet?

A more likely theory is that the Kennedy estate, in appreciation for Brother Jim's historic Everest climb, and as a caution against further attempts by Castro at embarassing our great nation's elite families, is preparing a final resting place for Lou's unit. Think about it...where are they going to put that thing?

[This message has been edited by pope (edited 07-05-2001).]

The fifth force experiments were trying to determine if there was a force acting contrary to gravity, so they were dropping spheres of equal size but different mass and seeing if it made a difference that they were doing it in the presence of such a large, dense mass (the granite - that's why they were in the cave in the first place). Kind of like Galileo in reverse. I always imagined that if you went wandering into that tunnel, sooner or later you'ld fall down a vertical shaft and there you'ld lie, forgotten for 10 million years...

OS - There are sport climbs at Index, but its mostly a traditional area. There's beautiful granite cracks and stiff ratings. If that's not your thing, you might want to check out Exit 38 and some other areas around Mt. Si for bolted sport climbing. Smoot's Falcon Press Washington Rock Guide is a good intro to various climbing areas in western Washington and the rest of the state.