Warmest gloves in the universe?

archenemy

I whine a lot about cold feet and hands. I wore mittens for my first 5yrs of ice climbing because I couldnt find ANY gloves that kept my hands even moderately warm.

Last year I attempted the patagonia stretch elements, but it was the wrong size (no return with proform). I wound up buying the white smoke glove after that and they have been AWESOME to climb with even in below zero temps. The stretch elements are meant for climbing. White smoke - skiing, climbing. I just sold the stretch elements to a friend after he climbed in them one day becaused he loved them so much.

I have quite a few other tricks I use as well...

ie/hydration, asprin in the a.m. (if you arent allergic) to thin the blood, crazycreek wrist warmers (warms the bloodflow going into your hands), and switching into mittens as soon as gloves are no longer necessary.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
It is a physiological response to percieved cold. The noggin just shuts down the hands "early." No matter what you do for gloves it won't help. Start with makin sure a hat is involved and good core heat regulation. All those little things so that the brain thinks it is warm.

Of course warm gloves really help too but if it is connected to a physiological response it will be better to have good sleeves, good jacket, warm hat all those parts too.

Excellent points, Ketch.

I believe concept of "perceived cold" is significant in Reynauds. I can be perfectly warm in the house, but the mere thought of going out for a ride or run on a cold day will cause my fingers begin to discolor. Freaky.

consider a good balaclava... less cold will get to your neck/hood on your parka.