OP cams

mountainmatt

No worries. :poke: Ouch.

What that post presents that shocks the shit out of me it that the amount of force can theoretically be infinite as the flare increases.

With that in mind, it makes one wonder what kind of pressure can actually develop where the metal hits the rock. Furthermore, on that RC.com thread, Malcolm Daly, founder of Trango, says in researching Maxcams, that they had tested this very thing.

OP's cams came out fine. BUT, he continues, some other FAMOUS gear mfg's stuff shockingly failed.

Does that not make you wonder?

It does me.

If that poor bastard hadn't died in the Gunks with this exact kind of scenario: i.e., very short fall, (on a 5.5) when the Cassin cam failed, tied with Malcoms comments above, then it would be a different conversation for sure.

:wave:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a link cam (because it was half price) and like it a lot. It's great for when you only want a few cams, or when you want to cover the range twice without having to bring two sets. It works in places where others don't but sometimes doesn't look as good in places where others are fine. I used to carry mostly hexes and nuts, but now that I have more cams I place them about 70% of the time because they are fast to place and clean, and in most cases you can tell that a placement is good just like with a nut. I've taken several falls on questionable cams and none have popped or broken (as a result of the fall anyway). The best thing about link cams is that they are great for when you are scared and just want to get something in fast (though I guess this could result in a bad placement that will cause it to break?), or when you have already used most of the rack and only have a few pieces left with which to make an anchor. None of the common complaints have been an issue for me.