Turtles

rmncwrtr

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Han Solo: "I don't know... I've got a baaaaad feeling about this..." :smirk:

Yes, I know. Same bad feeling here. I'm hoping by December 25th, I'll be all warm and fuzzy about this, but my sister is game and it's what my nephew has been asking for all year. My niece and nephews are old enough to know to bypass mom and dad and come straight to the source when they want something out of the norm. They've already taught the youngest to "Forget Mommy and Daddy. Ask Aunt M."

I've done some research, and am leaning towards a Russian Tortoise. They don't grow as big. I also have considered "what if" situations. That is, I'm looking at it as if someday this tortoise could end up being mine and so I'm making decisions based on what I would be willing to handle.

P.S. This fangirl loves that quote, sobo ;)

I also have considered "what if" situations. That is, I'm looking at it as if someday this tortoise could end up being mine and so I'm making decisions based on what I would be willing to handle.

Beyond your years, wise you are, Youngling. :yoda:

P.S. This fangirl loves that quote, sobo ;)

Knew you would, I did, Padwan. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so the tortoise is a go. I pick it up on Christmas Eve on the way down to the family get-together so I don't have to worry about my kids or the cats getting to it or all the heating/UV lamps, food, etc.

My sister already purchased a 4x2x1 container for it to live in. My father is constructing a lid to keep her animals out of it. I'm going to buy the UV light and mulch tomorrow. She already has the red heat lamp that she uses for her baby chicks. Neither my husband or her husband are saying much about this. Probably a good thing depending on how it turns out!

I know a couple of you have tortoise/turtle experience so a couple of questions in case someone knows the answers.

Do I need to buy a log for it or will a box where it can hide do?

Does it need toys and if so, any suggestions?

The pet shop said it doesn't need water, but I've heard different things. Pet shop guy said water wouldn't hurt it so my sister wants to get some kind of water dish. Maybe a weighted one. Any suggestions on what she should buy?

Do you know any reputable reptile vets anywhere between Salem and Albany, OR?

Is there anything else I should buy or do you have any tidbits of info/wisdom to pass on to them?

Thanks!

Best advice is pick up this book: The Tortise Trust Guide to Tortoises and Turtles - Andy Highfield. Available thru Amazon.

Tortoises, in the wild, get most of their water through succulants and thru metabolic water - basically very efficient users.

Toys not necessary - their not the smartest critters in the world. I used to keep a few and with a heavy water bowl. Never saw them drink from it but once. The would occassionally sit in it. Feed regulary, mix leafy stuff and veggies with commercial dry food. Remove uneaten food to keep out the fruit flies.

These little guys live a long time but are easy to care for. good luck.

Meet Yoshi, the Russian Tortoise. It was love at first site for my six year old nephew. I am now the best aunt in the universe. At least his universe :)

IMG_3524w.jpg

The two of us put fixed up Yoshi's new home with all a tortoise could want to be happy. Hubby just shook his head through out all of it, including paying for everything. I told him it was less than last year's puppy. My brother-in-law asked if this would be the last live present. I told him to talk to his kids about that. My dad, who built the chicken wire lid for Yoshi's new home, usually hates anything with four legs that breathes, but he loves the tortoise. No one could believe it.

Thanks again for all the advice and info. Much appreciated!

Nope :( It'll be a week today. That night my niece got him to nibble on something, but that's it. It's weird because he doesn't seem to mind where he is. He doesn't retreat into his shell and runs all around.

Update: They finally spoke to the guy I bought Yoshi from. He gave them some suggestions that have helped. Yoshi ate some dry food flavored with vegetable juice this morning!

Edited by rmncwrtr