Fatties get special treatment?

archenemy

I hear so much stuff from people that say they can't lose weight. But when I look at what they're eating, and how much of it...

I sat down in the break room to eat my lunch with two gigantic women at a place where I was working some years ago. One of them said 'Is that all you're gonna eat?' I wanted to say 'If I ate as much as you, I'd be as fat as you', but working for the state at the time, I could have been fired in a second for not being completely PC.

I just shrugged. 'Yeah.'

Fess up, you were eating the other woman, weren't you?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

Yeah, I agree it's thier business, but I don't want to pay for it. I want points or a price break on my health insurance for having a normal BMI and exercising and not smoking, etc., just like I get a discount on my car insurance for safe driving. I don't want to pay for someone else's adult onset diabetes and high blood pressure and quadruple bypass.

[quote=JayB

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

Yeah, I agree it's thier business, but I don't want to pay for it. I want points or a price break on my health insurance for having a normal BMI and exercising and not smoking, etc., just like I get a discount on my car insurance for safe driving. I don't want to pay for someone else's adult onset diabetes and high blood pressure and quadruple bypass.

Ditto.

A matter of virtue? No. A matter of responsibility? Yes.

Even people of normal weight and healthy lifestyle get diabetes, cancer, strokes, etc.

And fat people can live a long, healthy life.

So it is a little over the top to say you aren't going to pay your part of health insurance that magically goes to fat people b/c they are fat.

I realize being fat is a choice for many, but so is pregnancy--and that is expensive for us all as well. So how can we start saying we don't want to pay for these other people's choices?

I'm always a bit torn in the middle by this insurance issue btw.

Even people of normal weight and healthy lifestyle get diabetes, cancer, strokes, etc.

So it is a little over the top to say you aren't going to pay your part of health insurance that magically goes to fat people b/c they are fat.

I realize being fat is a choice for many, but so is pregnancy--and that is expensive for us all as well. So how can we start saying we don't want to pay for these other people's choices?

How would you feel about all drivers paying the same rates irrespective of their driving history?

How would you feel about all drivers paying the same rates irrespective of their driving history?

Exactly.

I am not for people all paying the same insurance rates period. As I said, I am torn down the middle on this issue.

I do have problems with people who think their part of their insurance costs magically cover everyone else. It covers you as well.

Have you purchased life insurance? You get a physical, and they take down your weight. The premium depends on whether you are overweight, smoke, have high-blood pressure, etc. That is fair, and I think the same should be done for health insurance, especially if it gets nationalized.

There is a difference between suffering from an ailment due to "bad luck" (including genetics) and purposely engaging in an unhealthy, destructive lifestyle.

I am not for people all paying the same insurance rates period. As I said, I am torn down the middle on this issue.

I do have problems with people who think their part of their insurance costs magically cover everyone else. It covers you as well.

Have you purchased life insurance? You get a physical, and they take down your weight. The premium depends on whether you are overweight, smoke, have high-blood pressure, etc. That is fair, and I think the same should be done for health insurance, especially if it gets nationalized.

There is a difference between suffering from an ailment due to "bad luck" (including genetics) and purposely engaging in an unhealthy, destructive lifestyle.

Yes, I have life insurance.

And all types of insurance are gauged for the individual as far as I know. Even within company insurance, it is measured. The more you use it, the more you pay.

Really?
Sorry to bore you, was going to extend your smoking parallelism to advocate a similar evisceration of the food marketing syndicate, but couldn't reconcile it against my 'the chronically stupid should reap what they sow (as long as it doesn't tear down my society)' position that you so expertly exposed last time, when the drugs in question were much more addictive and unhealthy than saturated fat and corn syrup. So I suppose we shall just have to let the population eat itself to death, if that's what the billionaires want.

I am living proof that a fattie can survive the wilds of Seattle. So is RumR.

And I am living proof that an overweight person (BMI-wise) can drop 20-30 pounds relatively easily and keep it off (so far), and change from high blood pressure to normal by changing diet alone and refusing the drugs. (My highest recorded BP was 160/105. Currently it's around 135/78.)

Holly schnikees.

I'm 120/70

My doc says, "people would pay for bp like yours" and I say "What, you think my gym membership is free?"

When I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure, my doc just whipped out the RX pad and started writing up a prescription. I asked him to hang on, and if there wasn't some other alternative. He gave me the details, and I did what he said. He later told me that he automatically gets out the pad because he finally learned that nobody listens to him when he tells them what to do to lower their blood pressure - they just nod and say 'Okay', and go home and do nothing different, and even lie to him out of embarassment when they come back.

120/70 - I'll prolly never see that, though I do reach 125/75 now and then. (I check it a few times a month.)