What did you do at ropeup?

rob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris (crillz) and I hooked up again via cc.com and came over for the festivities. We stopped at index on the way over saturday am and did princely ambitions. I backed off at the crux and Chris finished it out very cleanly.

Next we let a variation on Lizard, finishing on the beautiful 5.6 hand crack up to the 5 bolt station. While I was getting ready to belay there, a woman began top roping the 5.6 crack. She was very photogenic and I snapped these photos of her. Her belayer was amused and commented: "Those will end up on cascadeclimbers.com, right?". I replied that they might actually, surprised that he'd heard about cc.com. As we went through the weekend, it seemed that everyone was talking about cc.com.

Her partner commented that he'd been out of climbing for a couple decades. I asked him what he'd been doing instead. He said one of his diversions was singing opera. I asked him if he'd sing a few bars, and damned if he didn't...the dude was awesome. Who would have thought I'd ever hear opera sung, 2 pitches up on a granite cliff? Climbers are cool!

red_helmet1.jpg

red_helmet2.jpg

red_helmet3.jpg

red_helmet4.jpg

red_helmet5.jpg

We stopped in at the eight mile group site and watched a couple slide shows, but didn't get to socialize as we were tired and headed off to the secret free spot to crash.

The next morning we hiked up to Poison Ivy crack, which turned out to be much shorter than I'd imagined, though it's a great spot for taking pictures of your follower. That exit move is easier than I thought, next time perhaps I can do it without hanging, and falling, and sewing in so much gear.

poisen_ivy_crack1.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack2.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack3.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack4.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack5.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack6.jpg

poisen_ivy_crack7.jpg

Does anyone know who owns that bizarre hippie kind of house below Poison Ivy? The house looks kind of like something you'd expect to see on a commune back in the sixties: built into the boulders with very little woodwork.

We headed over to castle after that and did south face of jello combined with midway direct. Midway direct is a very cool climb as it's only 5.6, but has some vertical sections that look scary, but turn out to have monster jugs you can't see until you commit. Much cleaner rock than the standard second pitch of Midway.

thanks again to cascadeclimbers for giving us a place to meet!

I'm bummed that I didn't get to meet Mark Webster and Sherri.

That's sweet. How did we miss each other?? :(

I think we watched you on Icicle Buttress on Saturday morning. There was a group on R&D for most of the day, then another group doing some stuff to the right that looked fun(one of the climbers wore a white helmet, burgundy shirt).