Anyone learn Chinese?

snugtop

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats Chinese?

It's easier to learn a 2nd foreign language once you've learned your first. Also, it is easier to learn a language in the same family then one in a totally different one.

Chinese is one of the more difficult ones for an English-speaker to learn, along with Arabic.

It also helps to have a decent understanding of grammatical concepts, and often you have to learn a foreign language or two to get that since our schools don't do a very good job of it in the states, coupled with the fact that our language is "impoverished" as very weakly inflected.

yeah, and a few hundred dialects. I assume the thread originator knows whether he is learning Mandarin or Cantonese.

and in my experience local speakers of Mandarin, Cantonese or Taiwanese are a bit different. I'm lost in any one of the 3.

The other question would be age; the brain has difficulty adapting to some of the sounds as it ages. I've difficulty with the structure of anything not Italic or Germanic.

In fact, there is a "Chinese" -- at least according to the Chinese government--Mandarin is the official language. Cantonese is a dialect soken by a very small portion of the country.

officially there is no Taiwan

Officially? According to the Tawanese they are their own country. According to Beijin Taiwan is a provence, and not a nathion state.

Do you have perfect pitch, snugs? And since when are you a "he"?

In Chinese the word pronounced "tah" refers to both man and woman.

My tones leave something to be desired. I think I will have to move to China to make real progress. I'm thinking Kunming. Anyone been?

Not Chinese, but funny story while we were in Vietnam a few years back...

I asked our adoption agency laison guy how to order the local beer, a brand called "333" (perhaps the Vietnamese favor numbers for brands - the national cigarette was called "555" - go figure). So he says it's called "ba ba ba", the number "3" being spoken as "ba". Seemed simple enough, right?

Well, I'm gonna be all local and so I walk into a bar and sidle up to the counter and proceed to order "ba bah baa", to which the astonished barkeep looks at me with some level of surprise and alarm. A national who was present, and who happened to speak very good English, busts out laughing at me. I turn to him with that international look of "What?? Did I just fuck something up and come off looking really stoopid?"

He comes over, and through his fits of snickering, tells me that I just ordered "three old women." Seems if you don't get just the right inflection, tonality, and hold the vowel just right and long (or not long) enough, you end up with quite a different order. I laughed heartily, and bought myself, the national, and the barkeep a round of 333 - the beer, that is! What a trip...