Cycling: tips for cold feet?

Sherri

Anyone have any tricks/tips for keeping the toes toasty on those chilly morning bike rides?

For the coldest mornings, my approach has consisted of a wearing a pair of liner socks under a pair of wool socks inside my bike shoes, then putting on the full neoprene booties over my shoes. This is the best I've come up with, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I've tried sticking the handwarmer thingys in my shoes, but there's not really enough room and they only stay warm if you stop to shake them up every 20 minutes.

I was thinking that there might be something better out there, like maybe stuff that hunters use(battery-powered socks?)

Anybody got any suggestions? It's only SEPTEMBER my feet are already getting cold on my bike rides. :wazup: I'm dreading the winter rides....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used something similar to these for years, seems to work best for me. Basicaly a heavy lycra with fleece lining similar to some of the softshell jackets. Usually Nashbar or Performance have something similar for around $20 but if you don't mind paying a bit more Assos and other top brands make some nice products. I wear them over a thin cycling sock either wool or coolmax and if it is cold or wet I put the neoprene shoe covers on. Neoprene socks did not work for me, basically your feet sweat and then freeze. If you ride long enough in cold temps your feet will get cold no matter what you wear. Some folks seem more imperviuos than others but I come home in Dec/Jan after a couple of hours and my toes are in pain. Wiggling them often while riding does help. As mentioned you don't want your shoes too tight because of extra layers. I know a lot of racers used to get winter shoes slightly larger to fit extra sock.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSXXWXY

If you ride long enough in cold temps your feet will get cold no matter what you wear. Some folks seem more imperviuos than others but I come home in Dec/Jan after a couple of hours and my toes are in pain. Wiggling them often while riding does help.

That's exactly it. My rides are 2-2 1/2hrs long, and in fall/winter it's like walking around on painful iced-blocks for an hour after I get home. (I do the wiggling of the toes, too. :tup:)

Those fleece-lined socks sounds niiiiice. :)

With all the advances in material for outdoorwear, it surprises me that the best we can do for "weatherproofing" our biking shoes is neoprene, but I suppose it's better than nothing. I've been tempted to get a soft-shell type boot, cut out the sole, and try wearing it over my bike shoes. :/

I've made the mistake of jumping in the shower before my toes are fully thawed, ouch!

I've never tried the Gore Tex socks but I think it would be the same principal as the fleece lined lycra type material. You have a lot of issues you are dealing with. You need something that resists the constant wind you "create" while riding, something that breathes to remove perspiration and also insulates when wet. All this and you want a shoe that gives you a solid and comfortable connection to your pedals. I would almost compare bike shoes to rock shoes, if you started putting insulation on rock shoes they lose some of their performance.

In the past road riders could get insulated shoes. You might look and see if you can find some winter mtn. biking shoes with insulation. I've also seen neoprene shoe covers with a fleece lining that might be an improvement.

Definitely give the fleece/lycra socks a try. I looked at Nashber and they didn't have them listed yet but I'm sure they will, you can get those for pretty cheap and see if you like them.

There is a reason a lot of time and money have gone into indoor trainers. Of course they bore the hell out you.

I can't imagine sitting on an indoor trainer for two hours. :crosseye:

Thanks again for the Assos Thermic recommendation, Sprocket. I hadn't heard of that brand or product before. I ordered a pair from www.bikyle.com this morning, along with a pair of Campagnolo Thermo Textran socks they had, that also looked pretty sweet:

CampyThermoSocks.jpg

"Campagnolo offers Thermo Textran socks that provide a waterproof and windproof barrier when riding in not so pleasant conditions. You wear these socks when temperatures drop below 35 degrees.

Perfect combination of breathability, durability, and protection

Waterproof and windproof for riding in almost any harsh weather conditions."

Winter's not seeming so scary now. :grin:

My girlfriend had cold feet problems. Someone recommended changing up the footbeds in her shoes. I think she used some suprefeet and it worked really well. It took care of her cold feet problems (or at least she's not getting cold feet that much more than I am...)

are your double-layered socks maybe too tight? you could be restricting blood flow to the toes, making your feet even colder.

I used to ride year-round in New England, and I think this is the key concept to bear in mind. :tup:

Best system I found was neoprene booties over the shoe (essential if your feet might get wet in puddles or snow) with regular socks. Then you can layer old-school style with a thick wool sock *over* your shoe (cut a slit for the cleat), under the bootie.

You can also suck it up and try larger shoes just for winter, so those fancy warm-but-thick socks fit.

Some people seem to like neoprene socks, but they were awful for me. My feet got soaked with sweat and my toes froze like ten little popsicles.

Windproof shoe covers make a huge difference; I use a light pair (coated nylon) made by Burley. If your shoes are old and the insoles are compressed, replacing them will help. Even if your shoes are new, you should remove the insole and put some duct tape over all the open screw holes or slots around your cleats. Be sure to tape over any metal that makes contact with your insoles too. You can also cut the feet out of old socks to make ankle warmers (keeps the blood warm without cutting off circulation inside your shoe).

Good luck!

Oh, and check out www.icebike.com for more winter cycling ideas

That Icebike site is a great find. :tup:

The tips here have been most helpful. I wear hard orthotics in my shoes, which has me wondering, now, if they are part of the heat-sucking problem! As far as shoe tightness, I wear my shoes a little big anyways so there's no problem with having room for an extra sock layer.

I can't imagine sitting on an indoor trainer for two hours. :crosseye:

Thanks again for the Assos Thermic recommendation, Sprocket. I hadn't heard of that brand or product before. I ordered a pair from www.bikyle.com this morning, along with a pair of Campagnolo Thermo Textran socks they had, that also looked pretty sweet:

CampyThermoSocks.jpg

"Campagnolo offers Thermo Textran socks that provide a waterproof and windproof barrier when riding in not so pleasant conditions. You wear these socks when temperatures drop below 35 degrees.

Perfect combination of breathability, durability, and protection

Waterproof and windproof for riding in almost any harsh weather conditions."

Winter's not seeming so scary now. :grin:

Very cool Sherri, give us a report on how they work!

Looks like with the La Nina this year you should have plenty of cold wet weather to try them out :crazy:

Welllllll, here's one thing that definitely works, but can be kinda dicey... Cayenne pepper on the toes! It keeps the circulation up no problem, but you really know it if you put on too much. Unfortunately you won't know it until after you've been pushing for a little while.

Maybe a wee bit combined with one of the more conventional (sane) methods would do the trick.

Well, whattyaknow...your bravery inspired me to look further into this(ie-google search) and looks like there's sumpin to dis here idear:

" Warm up your cold feet with cayenne pepper.

When you eat red pepper, its active ingredient, capsaicin, increases the circulation in your toes and fingers. When you put cayenne (or red pepper spices) into your shoes or socks, you're doing the same thing... topically. For some people, the warming sensation happens immediately, for others, the heat gradually increases over time. (It also depends on how much you use.)

"Cayenne causes the blood vessels under the skin of the feet to dilate, thus stimulating extra blood flow and providing warmth to the feet." Source

How To Use Cayenne In Your Shoes Or Socks:

Turn your socks almost inside out, and sprinkle a teaspoon of cayenne pepper into the portion of the sock where your toes and the top of your foot will be. Then slip your foot inside. Make sure the pepper is distributed evenly across the bottom of each sock. And let the warming sensation begin!

If you feel inclined to use more than a teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, then add it to a "base" of talcum powder or cornstarch first. Then sprinkle the mixture inside your socks.

Or, you could wear a thin pair of socks normally over your feet. Then sprinkle the inside of a thicker pair of socks with cayenne pepper, and put them on over the thin socks.

Just the same, you could try sprinkling the bottom of your socks, instead of filling them inside.

If you don't want to take any chances of the pepper coming into contact with you feet, put a tiny bit of dried, powdered cayenne into a plastic or cloth bag. Seal it tightly, and place it next to your cold feet to warm them.

You could also sprinkle the mixture inside your shoes, rather than inside your socks.

Warnings Regarding Cayenne, Chili Powder & Capsaicin

Cayenne and chili powder will cause your white socks to turn pink and your feet to turn red. (Plus, they will kind of smell like chili!)

To avoid irritation, your best bet would be to not let the cayenne pepper or chili powder come into direct contact with your feet.

Do not use chili powder or cayenne pepper if your feet have any cuts, scrapes, or blisters.

Wash your hands thoroughly after applying, because even one grain that's left on your finger can burn tremendously if you rub your eyes, or if it comes in contact with your contact lenses.

Don't place too much inside your shoes or socks... you may find it warms your feet more than you can stand.

Here's a bit more than you ever wanted to know about cold feet (especially as it pertains to skiers' cold feet)... It's the patent information for a cayenne pepper-based foot powder..."

from: http://feet.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/01/pepper_for_cold_feet.php

Edited by Sherri

The epiphany I had this winter is that I could get away with a really light sock, even on the coldest days, as long as my shoes weren't very tight. Also, when buying booties make sure to get one size larger then your shoes size. While I have no proof of this, increasing your pedal cadence would likely increase the circulation to your feet as well.

enough suggestions here already for the feet, but it would be incomplete to focus only on your feet, as their warmth is not just dependent on their insulation.

do keep in mind that blood flow to the extremities is heavily influenced by your entire body temperature. if your arms/legs/hands/head/etc. are not adequately insulated as well, your body will restrict blood flow to all extremities, usually resulting in cold feet first. i'd suggest ensuring your entire body is insulated before going nuts on your feet.

when you're body temp starts to edge above normal, your vessels will open to get rid of heat in your extremities. you may have to endure a little sweat in your legs, gloves, hat, etc. to achieve this, but it will warm your feet.

body heat is influenced by available fuel, so be sure you've been eating enough that day. for a morning ride, this may cause problems.

blood flow to extremities is also influenced by blood viscosity, so being fully hydrated is very important.