Lake Oswego train track climbs

kevbone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the developer? When? Why did they bolt cracks?

why don't you use all that emotional energy for something constructive?

I think you are reading into something that is not there.

This is a serious question. I recently climbed there on my lunch hour……I thought (for what is was) it was kind of a neat place to have in your back yard. But they did bolt some obvious cracks……just trying to find out the history…..thanks…..

Kevin

Who is the developer? When? Why did they bolt cracks?

why don't you use all that emotional energy for something constructive?

I think you are reading into something that is not there.

This is a serious question. I recently climbed there on my lunch hour……I thought (for what is was) it was kind of a neat place to have in your back yard. But they did bolt some obvious cracks……just trying to find out the history…..thanks…..

Kevin

relieving work stress by being an anonymous jack-ass...don't mind me

OK, but I might have to ignore all of you then.

Bone, couple of the pdx after work group has met there. Should join us occasionally.

Check yer e-mail's. You're welcome BTW.

Also, I think it's because the rock is so friable. It you note the left side, I think the top of the left route may not be long for the world.... but it's a hard call.

OK, but I might have to ignore all of you then.

Bone, couple of the pdx after work group has met there. Should join us occasionally.

Check yer e-mail's. You're welcome BTW.

Also, I think it's because the rock is so friable. It you note the left side, I think the top of the left route may not be long for the world.... but it's a hard call.

Thanks bill.....got it.....

I mentioned this earlier to you via email, but thought it should be tossed out there on this forum since the thread is still going. Look, it was never cool to bolt cracks and still isn't, and whether these are even cracks could be debated although there is an obvious spot or 2 for pieces here and there.

I think it's a great place for the style of pro that is there. Bolts: which aren't too close together either. But thats me and here's why.

I was there once with Ujahn and some guy pulled a head sized block and the rope came tight 2' or so off the deck when he fell - on a bolt. Ask U if you don't believe me.

A) The cracks are shallow and discontinous, shit for pro. The rock is better now, but still relatively loose. Climb up and tap on the top on the left side for instance. On short routes, there is often only be 1 piece of pro between you and the deck, death is a close companion for a beginner. More so when the pro is so marginal.

B) There are many people who climb there who are beginners.

C) It is owned by the RR and people climb there with their tactit approval. IF, there was a single accident during which the authorities would close down the place, causeing the RR a major inconvienance, say yellow tape for 8 hours while the authorities investagated a death: I do not believe that the RR would ever allow anyone to ever go there again.

D) At 30' high or what ever it is, if there were not bolts, you could probably expect plenty of accidents given what is noted above.

I think those guy's did a great job and should be commended.

Hey if you're climbing there tomorrow, how about clipping the poison oak in the center top area? :wave: Nice place to get a pump on your lunch hour isn't it, you should talk to Ujhan he use to live right near there and has a few more secret places you could get a quick bouldering pump on when you get bored of this rathole in 10 min or whatever it takes. (I say that affectionately, I like the place - (especially if it just rained in the summer, cause the butte is wet and this place dries off fast) Right in downtown LO, no shit dude. Secret. But that's for him to share. Not me.

:wave:

Edited by billcoe

I think it's a great place for the style of pro that is there. Bolts: which aren't too close together either.

I agree it’s a bit run vertically but if you look at the second and third route from the right…..there are two bolts not even 12 INCHES apart horizontally. At first glance….I did a double take. I know there is an arête splitting these bolts, but from the ground its looks bad. I thought the 11.- (second route from right), was bolted irresponsible. The guide states you will not deck…..I find that hard to believe.

A) The cracks are shallow and discontinous, shit for pro. The rock is better now, but still relatively loose. Climb up and tap on the top on the left side for instance. On short routes, there is often only be 1 piece of pro between you and the deck, death is a close companion for a beginner. More so when the pro is so marginal.

I agree the cracks are dirty (ever heard of cleaning?). Not to be a complainer but…..it looks like someone just got lazy. Most of the cracks I dug my hand into would take great gear…..I am not saying the place does not need bolts…..only a lot less.

Climb at your own risk.

C) It is owned by the RR and people climb there with their tactit approval. IF, there was a single accident during which the authorities would close down the place, causeing the RR a major inconvenience, say yellow tape for 8 hours while the authorities investagated a death: I do not believe that the RR would ever allow anyone to ever go there again.

D) At 30' high or what ever it is, if there were not bolts, you could probably expect plenty of accidents given what is noted above.

Yes to have it close for an accident would suck….but the question remains…..does the “possibility” of closure out weight 50 years of ethics? Just asking!

I disagree, but I do respect those who came before me.

I think it's a great place for the style of pro that is there. Bolts: which aren't too close together either.

I agree it’s a bit run vertically but if you look at the second and third route from the right…..there are two bolts not even 12 INCHES apart horizontally. At first glance….I did a double take. I know there is an arête splitting these bolts, but from the ground its looks bad. I thought the 11.- (second route from right), was bolted irresponsible. The guide states you will not deck…..I find that hard to believe.

I agree the cracks are dirty (ever heard of cleaning?). Not to be a complainer but…..it looks like someone just got lazy. Most of the cracks I dug my hand into would take great gear…..I am not saying the place does not need bolts…..only a lot less.

Climb at your own risk.

C) It is owned by the RR and people climb there with their tactit approval. IF, there was a single accident during which the authorities would close down the place, causing the RR a major inconvenience, say yellow tape for 8 hours while the authorities investigated a death: I do not believe that the RR would ever allow anyone to ever go there again.

Yes to have it close for an accident would suck….but the question remains…..does the “possibility” of closure out weight 50 years of ethics? Just asking!

I disagree, but I do respect those who came before me.

So....you respect this then? Or you respect the people who did this because they came first? Not sure what your saying Kevin.

Huge point of order, I didn't say that the "Cracks are dirty", I actually said "shallow and discontinuous, shit for pro." Check my text. I see those as hugely different statements. Especially as far as new climbers to the sport go or even tired old goobers like myself eating dirt:-0.

I know that I get a kick out of that lil rathole. I really suspect you do to and wouldn't change anything about the place either. I'm glad that we can climb there, and think this was the best course of action for the reasons enumerated above. Really, this was the best way.

Here's some recent "dirty cracks" which just got done and were not "shallow and discontinuous, shit for pro" and so did not get bolts.

[insert gratuitous climbing shorts here]

Bill_leading_Stan_Miller_belaying_the_Plum.jpg

OK, maybe that one up above there is discontinuous and shit for pro, I've paused to put in a piece and I dare you to show me the crack there, but I didn't put bolts in on the FA. BUT, you can easily toprope this one at the Butte, while you can't do that at Rathole cause it's some ladies backyard and she doesn't want to see dirty bums popping up and down on her property all day.

Bill_3_Aliens_up_June_07.jpg

dirty

1st_piece.jpg

dirty

runout_to_first_piece.jpg

hugely dirty, 3 shots at cleaning it off, first piece is 20' up.

The_move_small.jpg

Used a shovel to clean it.

Most of these were FAed this summer. No bolts. Except we did 2 each for an anchor on the 1st and 4th one. I'm good climbing with no bolts. LO is good with. Those guys did a good job. My thoughts.

BTW, hopefully Jimmy did the cleaning at that other area you had mentioned earlier. If not, remind him. Someone gave me crap for spraying the oak out there. Hopefully most of it's dead by now, or close to it. I hit the top, but that 40' high tree of poison oak you dudes whacked and tossed earlier at the base regrew in big and thick, so I hit it too. Some young lady says to me as I wander by: "What are you doing", I say "spraying the oak", she frowns and says " Does it have a disease"?

Gotta get some work in, later.....

So....you respect this then? Or you respect the people who did this because they came first? Not sure what your saying Kevin.

I respect those who came before me…..meaning I may not like it…..but I will not change anything. If I did not respect those who came before me….I might rip all the bolts out of the wall and do it right IMO. Of course I would never do this.

So I respect the fact that someone got there before me.

I do enjoy climbing there. I just wish I was told there was gear…..I could have supplemented gear in-between the run outs.

I do enjoy climbing there. I just wish I was told there was gear…..I could have supplemented gear in-between the run outs.

Runouts? Ha ha! :lmao:

funny. good one.

You are kidding, right?

Not sure if run out is the correct way of stating irresponsible bolting job? I just would have done it different. I was 12 feet off the ground with my hand in a bomber hand jam and still 4 or 5 feet to go to the next bolt. The last bolt was at my foot……would for sure hit the ground. I could have supplemented with gear.

Not sure if run out is the correct way of stating irresponsible bolting job? I just would have done it different. I was 12 feet off the ground with my hand in a bomber hand jam and still 4 or 5 feet to go to the next bolt. The last bolt was at my foot……would for sure hit the ground. I could have supplemented with gear.

I have now, after a close read, determined that you feel that there are too many bolts.

Not enough bolts

Inappropriate bolting

Irregular and uneven bolting

There should be more bolts but there are already too many

Bolts should be removed

And

Bolts should be added

Should have no bolts where there are already bolts

Should have the shitty cracks beaten out and enlarged

Should have the cracks removed.

:lmao:

Someone is unhappy when the joy and love of climbing should be flowing through them.

Given all that is there and the style it was done, just step up to the plate and fix it - just toss another bolt in there and call it a day. I think that route was bolted trad style and use to have 1/4 inch bolts and it was later rebolted with 3/8". I'm not kidding.

I was serious about touching base with Ujahn earlier too.

cya :wave:

Geoff, thank Kyle for the pics the other day - that was great, I'm sooo pumped! :wave: Tappet bros. rule like big dawgs-thanks.

I have now, after a close read, determined that you feel that there are too many bolts.

Not enough bolts

Inappropriate bolting

Irregular and uneven bolting

There should be more bolts but there are already too many

Bolts should be removed

And

Bolts should be added

Should have no bolts where there are already bolts

Should have the shitty cracks beaten out and enlarged

Should have the cracks removed.

:lmao:

Someone is unhappy when the joy and love of climbing should be flowing through them.

Given all that is there and the style it was done, just step up to the plate and fix it - just toss another bolt in there and call it a day. I think that route was bolted trad style and use to have 1/4 inch bolts and it was later rebolted with 3/8". I'm not kidding.

I was serious about touching base with Ujahn earlier too.

cya :wave:

Geoff, thank Kyle for the pics the other day - that was great, I'm sooo pumped! :wave: Tappet bros. rule like big dawgs-thanks.

Thanks Bill....I don’t know who Ujahn is.

I won’t be tossing in another bolt…….not worth it…..just getting the history with a small bitch session on the side. The guide states he hung on pins and bolts to clean……kind of insinuates rap bolting…..not ground up trad…..not that it matters……

See you at Jims…..if not sooner.