Ms. Teen USA - South Carolina

dt_3pin

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet I could run circles around YOU w/r/t geography, Mr. Smug. Knowledge and intelligence is all relative.

Maybe so, but not w/r/t grammar.

What you mean to say is that "knowledge and intelligence are all relative." :wave:

nitpicking typos is poor netiquette.

I type 60 wpm, and rarely proof-read these frivolous postings, so spelling and grammar errors are inevitable (and not worth fixing).

Now go lick sack.

Oh, I understand much better now. Thanks for the lesson about etiquette and nitpicking. I can learn a lot from a guy like you I see :crosseye:

Why don't you try typing 59 words per minute and think about maybe 1 of them, just as an experiment?

You're the sick fuck watching underage girls parade around like livestock. I was just speculating on the reason so many kids in our country - like the young miss - can't resolve a simple question armed with what should be a basic knowledge set. With taxpayers shelling out between $7,000 - $11,000 per child, per year (depending on the state), is it too much to ask for results?

This has nothing to do with schools. I doubt this girl has spent much time in a classroom. Teachers have little control over the education of kids who don't show up for school.

I used to work as a high school teacher and the dumbest kids were those who never showed up. They were the ones whose parents didn't care when you called them to find out why their kid didn't show up. Or they were the ones who were disruptive and caused other kids to have a less than a satisfactory experience. Families who don't support their children in their educational endeavors are likely to have kids that have the level of critical thinking that Miss South Carolina appears to have.

You'd be suprised at how big a deal attendance is at the average school. Should teachers be penalized for the grades of students who only show up every once in awhile and don't even pretend to try when they do show up?

Jason

ABSOFUCKINLUTELY! If your dentist advises your children to brush and floss routinely, but you don't follow through by monitoring their brushing routines, do you think your dentist deserves a demotion and decreased salary when your kids develop tooth decay?

Oprah was recently criticized for opening schools for girls in S. Africa. Critics asked, "Don't American children need your help?" She replied that U.S. children care far more about i-pods and Nike shoes than education, after which she received even more criticism. I think she's correct. And we can mostly blame an F'ed up culture that doesn't value raising responsible children.

I hear you, Pope. And we've had this conversation before. But how much you want to bet that beauty queen is sitting on a 3.5 or higher? And if she is, then that does mean someone - in addition to her parents - isn't upholding the social contract. NEA and their state satellites are partly to blame, IMO, because their teacher compensation demands allow poor teachers - inclined toward allowing social promotion like this to happen - to earn as much as good teachers who deserve much, much more. I also agree that allowing teachers a free hand in discipline, physical if necessary, would go a long way toward the overall good.

grades in US high schools and universities are ridiculously overinflated. they've even dumbed down the SAT so scores can be higher. it's all about not harming the fragile self-esteem of our students, making them "feel good" about themselves (w/o justification).

Unfortunately there is some truth to this. The last thing a prinicpal wants is a parent calling about their child... or about anything for that matter. So if a kid is failing and a parent is on the phone with the principal pressure is put on the teacher. In many cases a parent phone call bypasses the teacher because the student tells his Mom that the reason he's failing is because the teacher hates him. After hearing from the parent a couple of times the principal will use the code words to the teacher of "try something different." In other words make it easier or let something slide.

I taught at a small town Washington school for awhile where I told the kids that they would not pass my Freshman English class if they didn't pass their book quizes. They had to read two short novels in a semester and I would test them on the content of those novels as many times as they wanted...but they had to pass the quizes to pass the class. If they didn't read the books, it didn't matter what else they did, they wouldn't pass.

Now these weren't hard quiz questions. An example of one might be, "What was the real Lord of the Flies? Hint: it was impaled on the end of a stick." If you didn't read Lord of the Flies, you wouldn't get this. But if you read the book, it would be simple to answer such questions.

My principal told me that if he were in high school he didn't think that he could pass my class because of the book reading requirement. He forced me to dumb down my class.

As much as politicans and internet posters would like to make education a partisan issue, it really shouldn't be considered one. My principal at that school was a hard core conservative...but I don't think that had anything to do with his actions.

My wife is an elementary school art teacher and they are not allowed to give prizes for quality. They can't have competitions because a child's ego might get hurt if he or she doesn't win. KaskadskyjKoak would like you to believe that those of us who are liberal are on board with such a policy. This is not at all the case. My wife -- who is liberal -- would love to give prizes for the best art in her classroom. Indeed, she sees competition as a way to increase quality.

I think you could find many many many examples of things that don't align with one's idea of partisan politics in education...and it drives me nuts when education is bandied about by politicians the way it has over the last few years.

Though both political parties like No Child Left Behind, teachers on both sides of the aisle see it as problematic because it doesn't address many of the root problems in education. It doesn't take quality educational models into account and put them into action.

There are some simple ways to fix most of the problems in education and they don't lead down the path to standardized testing. How about lowering class sizes and raising parental accountablility? How about paying the best teachers the best wages for working in the most difficult educational environments? How about raising the bar on disruptive student behavior?

Ultimately teachers ARE responsible for helping kids with their self-esteem. But they are also responsible for teaching the kids...and part of teaching kids is teaching them that they are not always going to come in first place, but also teaching them that if they work hard they have a shot at it. I think schools would be much better off if the teachers had more control over these types of things instead of less due to restricive policies, political wrangling, and half-assed educational administrators.

Jason

Just curious - how do you feel about differential pay for different disciplines?

I don't know too many people who will argue that it's quite a bit more difficult for the average person to acquire a B.S. in Physics than a B.A. in Social Studies, but as far as I know physics teachers and social studies teachers get the same pay.

ah man, i remember the good ol days when we got beat in school by grizzled old career teachers that had been beatin kids for decades. if we could only take the ruler and belt to the delinquint kids these days, i'm sure we could fix our education system and crank out more happy, healthy, well-adusted youth ready to go out into the world and do good. *warmfuzzy*

ah man, i remember the good ol days when we got beat in school by grizzled old career teachers that had been beatin kids for decades. if we could only take the ruler and belt to the delinquint kids these days, i'm sure we could fix our education system and crank out more happy, healthy, well-adusted youth ready to go out into the world and do good. *warmfuzzy*

yes, we're doing such a great job now. no discipline, no expectations. and parents that refuse to admit that their little darling is capable of any wrong or should be punished in any way, shape or manner for anything they do in school.

from one extreme to the other.

Fucking Lawyer. You're part of the problem.

no you have it all backwords my good man. attorneys solve problems, promote the social good, and protect individual rights.

maybe a couple extra beatings back in the day would have helped you get this all straight in that warped head of yours.

lawyers are barely one notch above child molesters

unless they are also politicians, then they fall two notches down.

no you have it all backwords my good man. attorneys solve problems, promote the social good, and protect individual rights.

maybe a couple extra beatings back in the day would have helped you get this all straight in that warped head of yours.

so if craig is a politician and child molester how does that rank with your standard ambulance chaser? i'm getting confused here.

so if craig is a politician and child molester how does that rank with your standard ambulance chaser? i'm getting confused here.

Craig is a child molester? I haven't heard that. Maybe someone should hire a lawyer to sue you for making such outrageous accusations on an internet bulletin board. :noway: Feed the lawyers!

Which of the following is more stupid:

A) a beauty contestant having a brain fart due most likely to a case of stage fright?

B) an entire country apparently becoming obsessed with it?

C) right wing moralist hypocrites actually getting voted into office?

Fairweather asked: "Craig is a child molester?"

Craig was apparently implicated in the Capitol Hill "page scandal" . You know, the one where REPUBLICAN (another word for "moralist hypocrite") Tom Foley (and others?) did things like....... Mr Foley sent him e-mails when he was 16 asking about "my roommates, if I ever saw them naked." Later, the former page said the politician hinted about a job opportunity "because I was a hot boy."

BTW Fairweather, all you seem able to do is threaten people with lawsuits or with turning them in to the Feds and shit, you should be banned IMNSHO..