lighting your stove

monkeyboy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

There are two kinds of lighters out there; the old style flint-type (cheap) and the newer piezoelectric (sp?) that's more expensive and may be the wind-proof one you used. I had the identical experience at Camp Schurman, my brand-new lighter piezoelectric lighter not lighting. Fortunately we had matches too (unfortunately, I left the freezedried food in the car, so all we had was some dried soup and hot chocolate [Roll Eyes] ). The cheap (89-cent) lighters work just fine, in my limited experience.

Expensive lighters suck. I bought a clear placstic one at REI for $40. It generally does not work above 6K feet. The cheap ones work better. I think the flint ones work best. They put out a big enough spark, that you may be able to get something lit w/o any fuel.

Well, I suppose I'll weigh in, for obvious reason,

The standard bic works fine up to 14,400' [big Grin]

keep one in with the stove, and if you really want it to work at elevation, keep one close to your body so it stays warm and keeps the butane from getting sluggish.

It'll spark up everytime. [Cool]