Hip Drug Lingo

olyclimber

Most of these are lingo that have been around for a long time:

Dextromethorphan (DXM): This is a drug contained in

over-the-counter cough suppressants. After 900 milligrams, it becomes a hallucinogen. Synonyms for DXM include Candy, Dex, DM, Drex, Red Devils, Robo, Rojo, Skittles, Tussin, Velvet, Poor Man's X, and Vitamin D. "Tussin is a very popular name that’s has been catching on lately," says Pollock.

"Cold medicine abuse is a very serious problem, from what I have seen, because it is so available."

Syrup heads: Users of DXM

Dexing: Abusing cough syrup. Synonyms include robotripping or robodosing because users tend to chug Robitussin or another cough syrup to get high.

Triple C: This stands for Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold. "The triple C or CCC is something that we are seeing a lot of, and that is specific to Coricidin, but anything with DXM is abused today," adds Kevin M. Gray, MD, an assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

More Teen Drug Use Terms

Special K: A medication used as an anesthetic in humans and animals, ketamine is sometimes abused as a "club drug." It can cause hallucinations and euphoria in higher doses. Synonyms include vitamin K, breakfast cereal, cat valium, horse tranquilizer, K, Ket, new ecstasy, psychedelic heroin, and super acid.

Crank: The stimulant methamphetamine. Synonyms include meth, speed, chalk, white cross, fire, and glass. "Crystal methamphetamine is called ice," says Cleveland Clinic's Pollock. "Crystal meth is smoked, but meth can be injected, snorted, or taken as a pill," he explains.

Antifreeze: Heroin. Synonyms include Big H, brown sugar, dope, golden girls, H, horse, junk, poison, skag, smack, sweet dreams, tar, and train, according to the web site of Phoenix House, a national alcohol and drug abuse treatment and prevention facility.

Crunk: This is a verb that means to get high and drunk at the same time.

Snow: Cocaine. Synonyms include Charlie, crack, coke, dust, flake, freebase, lady, nose candy, powder, rock, rails, snowbirds, toot, white, and yahoo, according to Phoenix House. "After all this time, alcohol and pot are still the most used drugs by teens, but cocaine is really a strong third, especially with females, because of the weight issue," says Janice Styer, MSW, a clinical coordinator-addictions counselor at Caron Treatment Center in Wernersville, Pa. "The drug of choice among women with eating disorders is almost invariably cocaine." A stimulant, cocaine can decrease appetite.

X: Ecstasy or 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA). Synonyms include Adam, E, bean, clarity, essence, lovers speed, MDMA, roll, stacy, XTC, according to the Phoenix House.

Georgia Home Boy: This refers to Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB), a central nervous system depressant can produce euphoric, sedative, and body-building effects. Other synonyms include Gamma-OH, Grievous Bodily Harm, Liquid Ecstasy, Liquid E, Liquid X, Organic Quaalude, and Scoop, according to Phoenix House.

Roofies: This refers to rohypnol, a.k.a. the date rape drug. Synonyms include the forget pill, La Rocha, Mexican valium, R-2, rib, roachies, roofenol, rophies, roche (pronounced roe-shay), and rope.

Kibbles and bits: The attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drug called Ritalin. It is sometimes also referred to as pineapple, says Pollock.

Teens and Drugs on the Web

Cheese: This is a hazardous mix of black tar heroin and Tylenol PM or other medicines containing diphenhydramine). It looks like grated parmesan cheese -- thus the name. There were more than 20 teen deaths in Dallas and surrounding neighborhoods that have been attributed to Cheese since it was identified in 2005.

Candy flipping: This term refers to a high that’s achieved by combining LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) or acid with ecstasy. "The new thing, especially with kids on the Internet, is which drugs are best and safest to combine," explains Styer.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cold medicine abuse is a very serious problem, from what I have seen, because it is so available."

when i was in basic training in the army i came down with a cold which required me to go to sick call which required me to be prescribed some cough syrup which required me to go into the drill sergeant's office all the time to take two teaspoons of it till the bottle was gone which required me to be additionally harangued by said drill sergeants. one morning i noticed the bottle was getting close to empty so i figured i just chug it and be done with this ritual. i was fine until we went outside to do a gazillion pushups which got it into my system faster. it got me pretty messed up and i can't say i enjoyed it much which is funny because i'm normally a big fan of recreational pharmocology. yuk. :noway:

While working towards a degree in higher learning (yeah, right...) at VA Tech years ago, I was a member of VA Tech Cave Club (it's how I initially got into climbing). The VTCC had a "special committee" that was charged with determining which readily available concoctions were viable replacements for alcohol. Why, you ask, is this important?

At the time (early 1980s), the Commonwealth of Virgina had decided that all alcohol sales would cease each night at midnight, and there were to be NO alcohol sales at all on Sundays. Being that we were VTCC members, and as such, none too keen on time-keeping, we necessarily needed to investigate "alternate sources" of libation in the event we didn't make it to the refueling depot before the stroke of twelve. Thus, the "special committee" known as the Drinking Techniques Committee, or DTC, was born.

Some of the things we learned (and drank) that made "adequate" substitutes...

Ny-Quil

Listerine, Scope, etc.

Any cough syrup containing trace amounts of alcohol

Real vanilla extract

I forget most of the others (most likely a long-term end result of my membership in VTCC), and many of the above no longer include alcohol in their make-up. :cry: