MEC - import duties

mwills

I posted this earlier in the Online Retailers board, but I thought I would try this board since it seems to get more traffic.

I'm looking at ordering a few things from MEC but I'm curious about import duties, taxes, etc. I checked the US Customs website - specifically the NAFTA section. From what I could piece together, the US and Canada should have free-trade (duty-free) as of 1998. However, on MEC's site (www.mec.ca) they still mention possible import duties, taxes, and custom processing fees. I understand that the NAFTA only applies to items FROM Canada (those manufactured in Canada, not Taiwan). So, if I buy a jacket from MEC that is made in Canada should I expect any "additional costs" other than the shipping? Any advide on this would be appreciated. Cheers.

matt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a certain value of the package that duties become applicable. I ordered some stuff worth about $230 and paid no duty. I suspect that value that they charge duty on is about $400 but not certain. It also depends on what you are ordering. Certain things don't get duty at all, like search and rescue gear. Anyway, if you are not one of these gear freaks who get entire new outfits every year, you should be fine.

My experience from the other side of things (US to Canada) is that ordering gear made in either the US or Candada does not involve duty. If goods are listed as "imported", then I have been levied a 20% duty charge -- but that has just been from US to Canada and I'm not certain that the same rules apply the other way around.

It depends on the original country of origin, that's what customs seemed to be interested in my Omega suit for anyway. If it's made in Canada it's OK (NAFTA etc) if it was French, say, then they might be keener to charge duty on it.

In a nutshell, as a cooperative, MEC is able to sell gear at far below the normal retail price. People from US come up and buy BD from MEC. Retailers in US get mad, lost business. Pissed-off retailers call BD, BD tells MEC not to ship to US because it disrupts US distribution networks.

quote:

Originally posted by Mer:
Does anyone know why certain products are only available for shipping in Canada--the ones made by MEC. Is it the co-op structure or the manufacturing setup that breaks some pesky trading rule with y'all?

The exchange rate between US and Canada is the reason. US Distributors have complained of Canadian retailers undercutting their prices. So some Manufacturers of equipment have requested that MEC not ship into the US.