lava glacier headwall

sws

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lava looked good in early may, before weather came in on me. Here are some pics while I was there to get you stoked! We had 8 miles or more of road when we were there. I'm sure you could get really close to killin creek now.

Photos of lava, early may:

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

and a couple more just to get you excited.

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

you can see the lava in the background of this last picture.

Edited by AllYouCanEat

In a normal year I think you would be able to drive to the TH. But as I understand it the road is washed out about a mile or two from the TH. At least that is the impression I got from the forest service web page. Am I wrong??

Edit: Check out the Adams conditions thread. There are directions to get to the TH.

Edited by letsroll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You lazy bum ! :laf:

Approach is same as that for NR and Adams Glacier (Killen Creek TH). There are detailed driving directions in this thread. If you want more details, check this set of directions from Google Maps.

The route is on the climber's left of NR. You top out more or less on the expansive summit plateau. Descend the NR.

There is another less popular climb called Stormy Monday Couloir between the NR and Adams Glacier.

Lava Glacier headwall is covered in Nelson's guide, Vol 2 as well.

Stormy Monday and Lava HW are not in great condition now and receive a LOT of rockfall all hours of the day. I'm not saying you can't do them, but seriously, I'd rather be somewhere else. The NW Face of the North Ridge would be your best bet and would be what i would climb IMHO. The approach is via killin creek and is 5 easy miles. The route is mostly 45 degree snow (and ice later season), descent is the n ridge. Get a map and go have fun!

I have some pics of the routes from the last few days, but I won't be home to post any for several days.