new bike

NTM

As of right now I have a mtn bike that I like a lot, but I'm tired of abusing it around town and commuting on it (better to abuse it on single track), time for something new.

I think a cyclocross bike is what I'm looking for. I want all the advantages of a road bike (light, better geometry for long rides, etc) with the burlyness of a mtn bike (seattle roads suck). i think i would lean more towards road standars with this new bike. in general i'd like to avoid disc brakes since i won't be full on in the mud (doubtful that i'll start racing) and they're more of a hassel than they're worth (for my needs).

So far I'm looking at:

bianchi volpe

kona jake (or jake the snake)

surly cross-check

redline conquest

kona sutra

rocky mountain solo

rocky mountain sherpa

anyone have any experience with these bikes? other suggestions?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

trek pilot 5.0

It's a roadie with a relaxed, luxurious ride. It's equipped with tires are that are little beefier than most racers(25c), with wide enough forks to up them another size if you want even more cush and to accommodate fenders(best investment I ever made in it). Between that and the carbon fiber frame, the chipseal vibrations get soaked right up and it rides like a dream. I use it on pavement, gravel, and packed dirt.

It's also set up to be fitted with racks for saddlebags. Making it equally ideal as either a commuter bike or a road warrior for burning up some fast miles.

Two years ago, I went from clunker garage sale bikes to this baby, and after putting over 8000 miles on it, I am just as happy now with its performance I was then.

trek%20pilot%202.1%20silver.jpg

Edited by Sherri

trek pilot 5.0

It's a roadie with a relaxed, luxurious ride. It's equipped with tires are that are little beefier than most racers(25c), with wide enough forks to up them another size if you want even more cush and to accommodate fenders(best investment I ever made in it). Between that and the carbon fiber frame, the chipseal vibrations get soaked right up and it rides like a dream. I use it on pavement, gravel, and packed dirt.

It's also set up to be fitted with racks for saddlebags. Making it equally ideal as either a commuter bike or a road warrior for burning up some fast miles.

Two years ago, I went from clunker garage sale bikes to this baby, and after putting over 8000 miles on it, I am just as happy now with its performance I was then.

I want one of those *nods* i have been wanting a road bike! *nods*

Get real wheels.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#howmany

The Great Spoke Scam: In the early '80s a clever marketeer hit upon the idea of using only 32 spokes in wheels for production bikes. Because of the association of 32 spoke wheels with exotic high performance bikes, the manufacturers were able to cut corners and save money while presenting it as an "upgrade!" The resulting wheels were noticeably weaker than comparable 36 spoke wheels, but held up well enough for most customers.

Since then this practice has been carried to an extreme, with 28, 24, even 16 spoke wheels being offered, and presented as it they were somehow an "upgrade."

Actually, such wheels normally are not an upgrade in practice. When the spokes are farther apart on the rim, it is necessary to use a heavier rim to compensate, so there isn't usually even a weight benefit from these newer wheels!

This type of wheel requires unusually high spoke tension, since the load is carried by fewer spokes. If a spoke does break, the wheel generally becomes instantly unridable.

trek pilot 5.0

It was a good move for me, and it's a bike I'd recommend without hesitation because of it's versatility and comfort. Only thing I'd give a :tdown: to was the stock Bontrager tires. The chipseal chewed them up in a few short months. Once I switched to Continental 4000 tires the weekly flats were thing of the past(they're made of kevlar or something impervious to most road hazards).

I'll let you take it out for a spin if you're ever in the neighborhood, Muffy! :cool:

mountain cycle stumptown

if you turn it into a fixe or put cards in the spokes I will personally drive to SEA and hit you with my car and take it from you

I don't live in Seattle :crosseye:

NTM who lives in SEA asked for cyclocross reqs and I made one for him

mountain cycle stumptown

if you turn it into a fixe or put cards in the spokes I will personally drive to SEA and hit you with my car and take it from you

I don't live in Seattle :crosseye:

NTM who lives in SEA asked for cyclocross reqs and I made one for him

but you responded to me... are you trying to confuse me?? :nurd:

trek pilot 5.0

It was a good move for me, and it's a bike I'd recommend without hesitation because of it's versatility and comfort. Only thing I'd give a :tdown: to was the stock Bontrager tires. The chipseal chewed them up in a few short months. Once I switched to Continental 4000 tires the weekly flats were thing of the past(they're made of kevlar or something impervious to most road hazards).

I'll let you take it out for a spin if you're ever in the neighborhood, Muffy! :cool:

:moondance::moondance: YAY!!!

i want to do some riding in the boonies in central Oregon. there is NO traffic out there and lots of nice sunny days.

And it's something you can usually do even when you can't run because of injuries, etc. Good back-up plan. ;)

Edited to add: this particular bike offers WSD models(Women Specific Design), which is a nice option if your build doesn't suit the geometry of the regular frames.

Edited by Sherri

And it's something you can usually do even when you can't run because of injuries, etc. Good back-up plan. ;)

Edited to add: this particular bike offers WSD models(Women Specific Design), which is a nice option if your build doesn't suit the geometry of the regular frames.

when i go to the bike shop is there some one there who will tell me if the bike fits me right?

when i go to the bike shop is there some one there who will tell me if the bike fits me right?

If they rely strictly on the "crotch test"--how much clearance you have between your crotch and the top tube when you stand over it--I'd be leary of buying from them. There's a lot more that needs to be taken into account, like the reach to the handlebars and to the pedals and what angles these positions force your body into on that frame. If you feel scrunched or overextended, your either going to be uncomfortable or unable to really put power into your stroke, or worse, end up with an injured back or knees, etc. There is some room for flexibility if they work with you to try adjustments to the stem, seat, etc. But that should all still happen before you put down any money for it so that you know it's going to work for you. If the bike doesn't feel exactly right for you, don't settle for it.

When you are fit for a bike, it should be a thorough process, not a quickie "standover" fit. A good bike shop will provide a higher standard of service and is worth seeking out.

Good luck, Muffy! Can't wait for the TR photos (spandex!)! ;)

why not just an urban/commuter bike?.. which is essenitally a road bike with 700 X 28-32 tires and straight handle bars which allow you to sit up more up right. I would say a cyclcross may be over kill and a lil more cash. but if the cross you want, get a used road bike which can be converted. some will with only the need of tires and some need forks and possibly rear derailer. I know the evil empire carrys an assortment of these,,rei..

Don't buy your bike from Gregg's Greenlake Cycle. They will rip you off.

My experience with Rocky Mountain bikes has been amazing. Their bikes are a pleasure to ride, and a pleasure to look at! Seriously, before you buy ANYTHING, look at the welds. Rockies are beautiful...... perfect, each metal bulb is just like the one in front of it.

In all honesty however, its pretty much impossible to screw up nowadays. Competion between the companies is so intense that no one can afford to make a shitty bike.

Just buy what rides the best, fits you the best, and in you opinion looks the sexiest!

Yep! They should help you out.

Tip one: adjust seat so your knees are bent between 10 and 15 degrees on extension.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I won't be at gregg's b/c i used to work there and am well aware of why i don't want to buy there.

I won't turn it into a fixe b/c i'm not a trendy enough re-nob to belong to that crowd (no need to waste that gas $$, john).

I also don't want to convert an old road bike b/c I like the possiblity of having larger clearance for bigger tires.

I just found a last year bianchi axis on sale that I think will do the trick. it is significantly lighter than the other bikes i've been mulling over and definately nods towards road riding. aluminum frame (for durability) with a carbon fork (to dampen the bumps of shitty seattle street paving/potholes). decent (although not excellent) components and comes with 3 chainrings instead of 2 (like most cyclocross bikes) to make pushing my fat as uphill easier.

If they rely strictly on the "crotch test"--how much clearance you have between your crotch and the top tube when you stand over it--I'd be leary of buying from them. There's a lot more that needs to be taken into account, like the reach to the handlebars and to the pedals and what angles these positions force your body into on that frame. If you feel scrunched or overextended, your either going to be uncomfortable or unable to really put power into your stroke, or worse, end up with an injured back or knees, etc. There is some room for flexibility if they work with you to try adjustments to the stem, seat, etc. But that should all still happen before you put down any money for it so that you know it's going to work for you. If the bike doesn't feel exactly right for you, don't settle for it.

When you are fit for a bike, it should be a thorough process, not a quickie "standover" fit. A good bike shop will provide a higher standard of service and is worth seeking out.

Good luck, Muffy! Can't wait for the TR photos (spandex!)! ;)

that was exactly what i needed to know!! thank you sherri!!!!!