Exercise science degree? Cent. Wash. University?

Couple of weeks ago, I went to the Central Oregon C.C. to have my fitness "evaluated" by a sports physiologist. They figured my body fat %, and determined my VO2 max, Lactate Threshold, and my Max HR. Then, they came up with a plan for me to maximize my training before leaving for my big trip in the midst of June.

This was quite awesome to me; fascinating, even. I'm burnt out on Nursing, and I've been searching online to see if any schools exist around Portland, or in Washington...the only thing that I've come up with is Central Washington Univ and OSU. Anyone have any experience with that school (CWU), and is there anyone here on the board that is a Sports Physiologist, or is involved with Exercise Science? If I'm going to move anywhere, I'd prefer to move north rather than farther south :cry:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I earned a degree in Kinesiology (similar to Exercise Science) from Washington State University in Pullman. After more school I became a teacher.

Unless you are in it for the long-haul (PHd), exercise physiology is a tough field to get into.

Many people I know with Ex. Phys. degrees went on to become personal trainers, went back to school to do cardiac rehab, applied to PT school, or went back and got teaching certs. to do PE.

Might be worth chatting with the folks who gave you the work-up and getting their take on how to get into the field.

If you're already well along towards a nursing degree it might be easier to finish that up, get a masters or some other such qualification that would set-you up for a position in a sports-medicine clinic or something of that sort.

Thanks for the input, all. I've been in Nursing for the last decade, and I'm just not feelin' it right now. I've run out of ideas for venues in Nursing that I'd like to work in.

Too bad that it's a tough field to get into; somehow, I expected as much. Maybe PT is an easier field to get into, and take exercise science courses later to supplement....hmmm.

PT is NOT an easier field to get into.

The logo-embossed Polo-shirt wearing quasi-intellectual research and masturbatory holyier than thou art attitudes in the exercise science and PT (and yes chiropractic too) is so goddamn annoying it makes me want to just stick to push-ups, pull-ups, squats, sit-ups and trail runs, each meat potatoes and vegies, get a good nights sleep and call it good.

I've looked into the various fields quite extensively, know many people in it at all levels, and this is what I've found.

For research oriented jobs there is virtually no federal money for it, and that will likely not change, so you'd have to look pretty desirable on paper to find a job. Personally speaking, I find most exercise physiology research bogus to begin with.

The tests you took can be administered by anyone. There are many coaches and PTs out there that can administer the tests. Being able to interpret them is another story....

If you are looking at becoming a personal trainer you'd be better off keeping your job and studying for the various tests you can take ie CSCS and NCSA-CPT. People who do well in this field are good at selling themselves, which they are typically better at then training someone.

Fortunately for you there is a huge demand for nurses and the pay is good. There isn't a demand for exercise science people and trainer jobs typically pay poorly.

PT is NOT an easier field to get into.

The logo-embossed Polo-shirt wearing quasi-intellectual research and masturbatory holyier than thou art attitudes in the exercise science and PT (and yes chiropractic too) is so goddamn annoying it makes me want to just stick to push-ups, pull-ups, squats, sit-ups and trail runs, each meat potatoes and vegies, get a good nights sleep and call it good.

*sigh* damn it. i can't afford to go to massage school, i was hoping PT could be a viable alternative (you can get financial aid for that)

I go to Western Washington University located in Bellingham, WA and am an exercise and sports science major. I love it!! Bellingham is a beautiful place and I have been impressed with the education I have received from Western.

I'll second Mythos's statement. Western does have a darn good program! Plus, C'mon, the North Cascades are right there!

As for which field to go into, I personally am still at a loss... I am finishing a pre-med degree, but am not sure that I want to go to med school (if I did I go into either cardiology or endocrineology and specialize in high altitude medicine). I am seriously considering a DPT program, but jeeze, you get a doctoral level degree and then get paid the same as someone with a bachelors from the mid 90's.

I've also considered becoming an orthopedic PA or nurse anesthetist. These are insanely rad posistions, and they pay great!

ALSO, I have considered getting my masters in Kinesiology, then going onto a Phd. and doing research and teaching. I personally think doing research (especially climbing related - thinking VO2 max and lactate threashold at 28,000 feet) would be so fantastic! My Nurd button gets seriously jazzed at that though!

I like Layton's comment: basically he said: "lets all just exercise, eat well, get a good night's sleep and call it good!" I keep wondering about the possibility of becoming a full time dirt bag once I'm done with school...

Paging Matt cook! I go to cwu and love it here. Great climbing all around - tieton (50 mins), vantage (30 minutes), leavenworth(55 mins), cascades (an hour), stuart(hourish), snoqualimie pass and alpental (hourish) etc.

Anyway, there is a guy on here, his name is cook, that graduated from cwu with an exercise science degree. The cross country team has been involved with the exercise science program several times for tests and they have really great professors. It wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you have any other questions let me know.

Plus, there is a small vw scene!

I realize you said you're burnt out on nursing, but I've got a couple friends, plus had a US Marine cousin, who had RNs and went on to become nurse anesthetists. All have or had great interests in the outdoors, and being a nurse anesthetist allowed them a fair amount of time off to play, plus they received good pay.

Yeah, I understand that...I just figured that if I was going to go back to school, I wanted to do something that sounded very interesting to me.

I've worked in the OR, and it's not necessarily a pleasant place to be, all around. As it stands right now, I work 30-35 hours a week, and make 60+ grand a year; not so bad. I'm just tired of doing it, and the situations I end up in because of my job makes me feel as if my license is in jeopardy almost on a weekly basis. There's a reason there's a Nursing shortage, FYI.

Thanks for the suggestion, though :tup:

Have you looked at PA schools? I'm contemplating that as well. Its a 2 year masters program, and the job seems to have tons of flexability (meaning you can work almost anywhere, and find the ideal hours you want). The mean US salary for PA's I think is around $81,000 a year - not bad at all!

Oh yes, Layton, chiropractic? Congrats on almost being done! I know a couple of Chiros., and they both highly recomend the field. I will certainly be qualified enough to apply to any program....... is it something you too would advise a new grad to go into? Thanks!

Yes....and no.

It's easy to get into, but extremely hard once you get in. Prepare to have no life for 4 years of hard-core studying. It's as hard, if not harder than medical school.

The reason I chose it was because you have a little bit more scope of practice than a PT (thus the Dr. part...different than a doctorate of PT). You can either put the education to good use and do all the things you've learned from both degrees to a vast array of exercise related injuries in any part of the body in addition to diseases, or you can be a high volume back cracker....you're call.

The cons are you get shit on a lot, and the pay isn't as good as being an M.D., but the hours and lifestyle are WAY more chill than being an MD, the pay is much better than a PT, and as I last checked, there were 50 open positions in Seattle.

Check out Western States Chiropractic College's website www.wschiro.edu and check out the curriculum. I am VERY happy I chose chiropractic over physical therapy...still not sure if I'd rather have gone the M.D. route, but when I get my practice boomin' I'm sure I'll be glad I'm not stuck working long hours at a hospital.

Thanks Layton! I've done a lot of thinking about chiropractic over the past few years, and basically I just got shyed away from 1 bad experience. I went to see this dude-chiro. who was an "energy worker". Basically (dont get me wrong, he probably works for some people) all he did was shine some stupid lights on my spleep and pituitary areas, and ring some bells next to my head to "balance the electron clouds"..... then he threw a bill at me for $245. Poop.

I've read tons of physics, and the theories make [some] sense, but C'mon, it was a seriously a bunch of bullshit.

I do believe that as you described you can do just as much if not WAY more than a PT. I think I was just soiled by that one experience.

I will give it more thought.