I am going to buy a new Mtn bike today. right now.

archenemy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a low end hybrid Marin from Recycled Cycles with cheap Shimano components.

Recycled Cycles was hetic and crazy, but they sure have a big selection!

Someone recommended that place to me too, but I haven't been there. Most bike shops are hectic in this area due to the large number of bike enthusiasts.

I'm back up to consistantly bike commuting 2-3 times a week (24 mi round trip). Are you going to do the I-90 trail? I miss that route (I'm working on the east side now)

Enjoy!

bike some of the way and you carry me the rest of the way?

I am starting small--riding around to do my errands and stuff. Frankly, Seattle drivers scare the shit out of me. And maybe its just the fear, but i seem to tire out riding on streets faster than on trails. Maybe b/c it's more sustained? Maybe b/c I been trying to ride my soft tail full suspension mtn bike on pavement? doh!

bike some of the way and you carry me the rest of the way?

I am starting small--riding around to do my errands and stuff. Frankly, Seattle drivers scare the shit out of me. And maybe its just the fear, but i seem to tire out riding on streets faster than on trails. Maybe b/c it's more sustained? Maybe b/c I been trying to ride my soft tail full suspension mtn bike on pavement? doh!

I felt that way too at first and got used to it. I was riding down 4th across town one way and 2nd or 3rd back. Seattle drivers are actually pretty good and conscientious - you just have to bike defensively to be as safe as possible.

Notwithstanding, I think bike-commuting is the most dangerous thing I do right now.

even more dangerous than posting in spray?

I tell folks that my drive to work is the most dangerous thing I do each day. No shit, people are crazy. Yesterday, I saw an amazing wreck on I90. There were I-beams and brown goo everywhere. People were walking around in hazmat suits. I rolled up my window.

It's also worth mentioning that today's "low-end" components are probably better than high-end components from just a few years ago. A mt. bike equipped with Shimano LX components will be significantly less expensive than a bike with XT gear, but today's LX line is pretty darn bomb-proof. Less expensive bikes tend to be heavy but often come with pretty good components (by good I mean functional and reliable).

After finding the bike you want at the local shop, start looking on line and also second-hand. With the money you'll save on a used bike, you'll be able to upgrade/repair components.

Note on components, manufacturers and bike shop for that matter say a bike is equipped with LX or XT or whatever, but be aware when they say that they don't necessarily mean the whole bike. In most cases manufacturers will put a single high end component (normally rear derailer and/or shifters) to say that the bike is equipped with that component group, then they skimp on the brakes, hubs, headsets, seatpost, bottom bracket and cranks.

Look out for plastic (I am not talking about carbon), cheap plastic is junk and will end up as real junk in no time. Places you will find it on rear derailers, brake lever, brakes, shifters (now-a-days most shifters have plastic, its the internal part I am talking about) and on cheap cranks as a chain ring prtector.

As far as buying a second hand bike, I would reccomend not buying one, unless you like tinkering around with bikes and enjoy that stuff. With that said I will be selling my Bullit this summer with extra rear shock (need a rebuild for the seven inch travel the current one is 5 and is brand new 10 rides so far) and front fork. If any you want some specs let me know.