Wild Sky Wilderness

Seahawks

There is no Index Galena road beyond the 6 mile mark, that's the problem. And b/c it most likely will not be able to be rebuilt in the same spot, it may need to move up the moutain. Right before the bill got passed, the boundery line was moved again in order to make a buffer for the possibility of the road moving higher. After the environmental impact study, we'll know if that boundery moved enough. The next meeting I go to is May 1, during which we will also discuss the Beckler road improvement/rebuilding possibilities.

Thanks, I did not know they were considering moving the road much more uphill.

At least there is some progress on changing the road.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been in favor of preservation and I think it is extremely cool that we have such an extensive corridor of Wilderness and surrounding public lands that are managed in a fashion similar to designated Wilderness stretching from I-90 to the Canadian border and beyond.

With regard this region - what we know as the North Cascades and the North Central Cascades - I don't know what kind of overall recreation planning or wildlife management survey or habitat inventory efforts may have taken place and my impression is that any planning, survey and discussion of the preservation of this region as a whole has been on a limited and often ad hoc basis. And I don't really know how this particular piece fits into the whole.

This new Wilderness will help broaden the protected area adjacent to the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness. To the extent that this protects the area from logging or other threat, or if it makes the region a more viable habitat for our animal friends or whatever, I'm totally psyched (unless it becomes a breeding ground for those creatures that like to chew climbing ropes and stuff and they fan out to take over Darrington).

However, as a formally designated Wilderness the area will be forever barred to any trail development unless current policies change. The area has almost no trail access at present so as a direct result of this designation activities that I see as appropriate for this area such as hiking, fishing, climbing, or even mountain biking will be severely limited. In the case of mountain biking, it will be barred outright. I really don't know what the potential for these activities in this particular area really was, but like Mo I wonder if those who will be most directly affected by this designation really understand what it means.

I, too, am happy to see more habitats protected (although I don't consider managed logging as a threat, I do agree that much of our land is under too much stress to stay healthy).

I sort of think that your first concern, the ad hoc management, attenuates your second concern--outlawing activities. If they don't patrol it, they won't ticket it. Of course, this still causes issue for law abiding citizens.

Having tootled around in this area a bit, I am happy to say that one can indeed hike, climb, and fish in the area as is. However, there is a great deal of wildlife, generally the kind people don't like to run into. I wonder what would happen to this wildlife if we were to build trails, have a bunch of people back there, ride bikes and whatnot back there. I bet you the first person who gets fido killed by a big cat will throw a fit and have a million signs put up (like those ridiculous signs at Smith. Come on!).

I didn't used to feel like this, but the older I get and the more I see the more I think its fine to have land set aside that is simply not that accessible. If you can get through the land on your own two feet, well, more power to you. If you can't, tough shit. I know that may sound elitist or uncaring or non-inclusionary, but that's the direction I am starting to go in.