snow cat for Hood on Monday

shortstow

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you give more advance notice then you might get more takers... I tried this tactic a couple months ago with little success, but now that the climbing season is near, there would be more potential riders. I can posssibly take 2-5 seats if on a weekend.

Ya got a good point, but just once I'd like to try it...

Jump in on a rescue or 2, ya get to drive all over hell up there. But ya usually are walking around and down on shoe leather (hopefully down) in true big-time shit weather.

I know, late south side starts always were mentally tweaky too, where you'd see the same damn happy downhill skiers blow by you with huge smiles on their faces 10 times it seemed as your creaky legs worked hard and your lungs were huffing. I'd be thinking, how dumb is this, I could have jumped on the chair lift and been there already. :lmao:

I would be interested in the snow cat.

I would love to split the cost. I'm tired of walking from the parking lot. I've tried the cahir lift, but they want you to take it late in the afternoon so you have to do a sleepover instead of a quick one day trip.

The snow cat means I can be back at the car for an early dinner at Timberline.

Something always seemed a little wrong about riding up in a snowcat for the first 2500 feet.....my pride won't allow it....or maybe I'm just a glutton for needless punishment.

Whats the difference of riding a snow cat or a ski lift for 2000ft, when you DRIVE YOUR CAR up to 6000' to a parking lot?

How many of you have done the climb from lolo pass road at 1500'? When you look at it like that, what 2000' more feet in a ride?

Either way we eneded up doing a little climbing, and I do mean a little on Monday. Didnt go very far due to the gusts up to 80 mph or so and the sustained 50 mph winds just above the lodge. Tested some new gear in the worst conditions I will ever use it in, and I got to show a buddy just how much the weather can be diffrent from 1500' to 7000' and why you never know if you are going to make it to the top. Oh well.

Whats the difference of riding a snow cat or a ski lift for 2000ft, when you DRIVE YOUR CAR up to 6000' to a parking lot?

How many of you have done the climb from lolo pass road at 1500'? When you look at it like that, what 2000' more feet in a ride?

what he said! the only people who have really climbed hood started at pdx.

Well, with that line of thought, none of us have truly climbed Hood I guess....heck, take it a step further, "Only those that have hoofed it from Portland have truly climbed the mountain!" That argument goes on and on.....Still on that point, should I just take a snowmobile then up to Hogsback since it would get me there, and it's pretty much a walk up anyhow to there? Where does it end? I see your point, but like I said, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment starting from where the pavement ends.....

I've seen a few TRs of folks who've biked from Seaside or PDX and climbed Hood. So some inhuman cardio machines have done just that.

And the converse is true on St. Helens, where it's perfectly legal to top out on a snowmojo with no climbing permit.

Here's what a friend of mine did a couple of years ago and he's planning on doing it again this year: He rides his bike from NE Portland to Timberline; gets a couple of hours of sleep; climbs the next morning; rides his bike back to NE Portland; grabs a bite to eat; then gets his kayak, puts it on his back and walks to the Willamette River where he puts in and paddles to Astoria.

His family and friends (that didn't make the journey with him) meet him there and they spend the rest of the day surfing somewhere along the Oregon coast. He's crazy. :brew:

All testosterone-pumping and posturing aside, riding the machine still looks like fun and I'd like to try it just once. What's the big deal with that? Give my old bones and stainless steel body parts a break for a change. Besides, I heard it has a wet bar...

All testosterone-pumping and posturing aside, riding the machine still looks like fun and I'd like to try it just once. What's the big deal with that? Give my old bones and stainless steel body parts a break for a change. Besides, I heard it has a wet bar...

That was kind of the point I was trying to make...

Whats 2000' more feet of gain, when the resource is available to you?

(But then again I have never ridden a 'cat up, so whadda I know... Well, except for the "ski cat backcountry experience on the Palmer glacier" rides they give at the ski area for skiing purposes only....)