Need a new ride.......sugestions anybody

ken4ord

bullit.2_large.jpg

Right now I been riding on a Santa Cruz Bullit, the bike is awesome free-ride bike and pretty much takes anything I dish out to it. Now-a-days though I am not hitting hugh drops, north shore or dirt jumping so I am thinking I want a lighter bike, an all mountain, something that will be lighter than the 38lbs. I am currently pedaling. I still want it strong enough to handle the ocassional 5-6 foot drop and be able to take up small rock gardens. Got any suggestions???? Please note I am not looking for a cross country ride, but I also don't need the big rig that I have been pedaling up and down the hills around here.

Right now I am thinking the Santa Cruz Blur LT. Anybody ridden this rig? Also looking at the Kona Dawg Supreme, anybody been on this one?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardtail? Did you read the post or did you just insert whatever first came into your mind?

Maybe a Nomad or a Spesh Enduro sounds like what you need. A good AM ride with plenty of travel. Both weigh in the low thirties, but I have seen some conversions in the 28-29 pound range.

http://mtbr.com has good forums, by folks who actually ride.

Hardtail? Did you read the post or did you just insert whatever first came into your mind?

Maybe a Nomad or a Spesh Enduro sounds like what you need. A good AM ride with plenty of travel. Both weigh in the low thirties, but I have seen some conversions in the 28-29 pound range.

Yeah, I read it.

Are you always a dick, or is that the first thing that came to your mind?

Not all hardtails are XC bikes. You don't need a springy backside to ride difficult stuff.

I've ridden the blurr and it's M-O-N-E-Y. Weighs about as much as my hardtail and has no bob on the uphill. From what I can tell, it excells at x-country stuff, but can definately handle the bigger drops when it comes time. I don't have much to compare it to except for a few Rocky Mtn bikes I tried. It was a bit back, but I think I was on this one: http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/ETSX/etsx-70.aspx

again, geared towards x-country, but rolls witht he big dogs too. The RM Slayer could be fun as well. check the site.

When you Spesh, you mean Specialized right? I was looking at that one and pedal those around a little bit. The slack geometry makes them definitely good for descending. Sub 30's is what I am looking for and definitely not a hardtail, already got one that I never ride even on 100km rides I do out here. Thanks man.

Hey Ken it's missing a motor

Yeah, I am not in the picture.....I am usually a sufficient motor, considering I have passed motos going downhill. Even though I do that I am not allowed to buy a moto, I guess it is for the better, I get fat and create more opportunities to injure or kill myself. It will be a sad day parting with this rig.

Yeah Snugtop, I don't think so, that beast is a tank without that much travel 33.5 with around 4 inches travel. I forgot about them though. thanks.

Thanks Lambone, I forgot about the Turner line. I have always liked their work. Definitely have to look that one up.

When you Spesh, you mean Specialized right? I was looking at that one and pedal those around a little bit. The slack geometry makes them definitely good for descending. Sub 30's is what I am looking for and definitely not a hardtail, already got one that I never ride even on 100km rides I do out here. Thanks man.

Yep, Spesh=Specialized. They have awesome warranty as well. I cracked the frame on my Enduro last year and they replaced it in days. From what I hear Santa Cruz might not always be so swift. The component set on an Enduro is actually pretty decent too. I like the index shifting as compared to the SRAM X9 I got with my Nomad, and although it's an easy switch, the stock bars on the Enduro are narrow enough to sneak through tight PNW toothpick farms, whereas the Easton bars on my Nomad give me cause to brake and wiggle thru things. I'm feeling the Nomad out for now, but if I had a choice I would probably go for an Enduro again. Also the Enduro is like over a grand cheaper than a Nomad, but some folks prefer it. The modular features of the Nomad are hard to beat. I'm running a DHX 5.0 coil and a 7" front fork so it's basically an STX Trail, but peddles awesome. No bob on the Nomad. The Enduro, because of the slack geometry, like to be "stuffed" into tight corners at speed, and the rear end can be tossed hard. The Nomad feels more solid in terms of build, but doesn't have the geometry to transition easily. You have to break it in, and alter your styles a bit. I was riding Paper Bag, Placenta Descenta, and the Vein in Nelson, BC a few rides into buying my Enduro. I haven't had the chance to really pace the Nomad in terms of rides of that character, but it seems to want to eat up descents. Also, the clearance of the Enduro was superior for getting over obstacles, and the standover height of a medium Nomad is higher than the Enduro.

Also don't rule out the Mongoose lines. They are winning loyal customers for value and performance if that's your thing.

Good luck.

bullit.2_large.jpg

Right now I been riding on a Santa Cruz Bullit, the bike is awesome free-ride bike and pretty much takes anything I dish out to it. Now-a-days though I am not hitting hugh drops, north shore or dirt jumping so I am thinking I want a lighter bike, an all mountain, something that will be lighter than the 38lbs. I am currently pedaling. I still want it strong enough to handle the ocassional 5-6 foot drop and be able to take up small rock gardens. Got any suggestions???? Please note I am not looking for a cross country ride, but I also don't need the big rig that I have been pedaling up and down the hills around here.

Right now I am thinking the Santa Cruz Blur LT. Anybody ridden this rig? Also looking at the Kona Dawg Supreme, anybody been on this one?

1 got the blurr with lock out front and really like it. climbs very well. 24-25lbs .great at speed. good on technical .

Yeah that would be more my style, better shock and fork, though still 32.5 lbs. It is easier to lose the weight on the bike than it is in my gut. So is that what you are riding on? If so what it ride like compared to others? It looks like a modified single pivot design, just wondering if the extra bar help with bob, which I am not sure if it will since it changes the direction of the travel to more vertical position, but what do I knoe.