Regime Change!

StevenSeagal

What I was saying was that I don't beleive that is the underlining reason why we went to war in Iraq. That said I also beleive that by developing these cars this will take away money and political clout to these countries that we have problems with. Make sense?

Well....what is the underlining reason?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think the Nazi's who were making the same bomb would not used it??

Uh, not that I need to point out Seahawk's ignorance to anyone here, but Nazi Germany did not have a viable nuclear weapons development program.

Which we only determined after they had been defeated.

When the survival of the free world was literally at stake, it would have made much more sense to cross our fingers and trust Hitler, who surely would have disclosed both the specific location of their research facilities and the progress that they'd made along these lines to his enemies in the middle of a war to destroy them.

Is there a single sane historian who contends that anything other than fear of Germany acquiring the weapons first that impelled the Allies to undertake the Manhattan project?

Nothing stated so far successfully refutes my original statement.

Neener.

This statement is meaningless outside of the context in which the decision to proceed with the Manhattan project was made - reminder, they did not have perfect knowledge of what Nazi intentions/capabilities/etc were with regard to nuclear weapons - so why you think this is a meaningful insight is beyond me. If Roosevelt et al had been able to magically see the future, exclaim "Hey - It looks like Adolf and Co didn't have an operational nuke and actually weren't even close to developing one. Gosh" And then went ahead with the Manhattan project anyway, then your point would be salient.

I am surprised that there is no mention of religious belief yet in this thread as a possible contributor to the ongoing war(s). It seems easy to see that in so many other wars we learn about, but we don't really mention it so much with ours anymore. I think it's possible that besides oil, money, power, fear, etc that the Religious Right may really believe that these heathens must be brought to heel. It's possible that people here are just as fanatical about their beliefs as the islamo-whatevers.

I am surprised that there is no mention of religious belief yet in this thread as a possible contributor to the ongoing war(s). It seems easy to see that in so many other wars we learn about, but we don't really mention it so much with ours anymore. I think it's possible that besides oil, money, power, fear, etc that the Religious Right may really believe that these heathens must be brought to heel. It's possible that people here are just as fanatical about their beliefs as the islamo-whatevers.

This professor at Oral Roberts University says that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has messianic beliefs. Oh, the irony!

Ahmadinejad Awaits the Hidden Imam

Edited by Stonehead

Uh, not that I need to point out Seahawk's ignorance to anyone here, but Nazi Germany did not have a viable nuclear weapons development program.

When the survival of the free world was literally at stake, it would have made much more sense to cross our fingers and trust Hitler, who surely would have disclosed both the specific location of their research facilities and the progress that they'd made along these lines to his enemies in the middle of a war to destroy them.

Is there a single sane historian who contends that anything other than fear of Germany acquiring the weapons first that impelled the Allies to undertake the Manhattan project?

Neener.

This statement is meaningless outside of the context in which the decision to proceed with the Manhattan project was made - reminder, they did not have perfect knowledge of what Nazi intentions/capabilities/etc were with regard to nuclear weapons - so why you think this is a meaningful insight is beyond me. If Roosevelt et al had been able to magically see the future, exclaim "Hey - It looks like Adolf and Co didn't have an operational nuke and actually weren't even close to developing one. Gosh" And then went ahead with the Manhattan project anyway, then your point would be salient.

It would be more salient if you bothered to read the thread.

For the folks sticking to the ChimpyMcHileroBurtonatGloboCabalOsamaisamythand911wasaninsidejob ItsAboutOilforChenyetetcetcetc crew:

Was the world reeling from an oil embargo/shortage before the war? We seemed to be getting all of the oil that we needed just fine before the war began, via the miracle of the world oil market, in which the oil - once inside the tankers - invariably goes to the buyer willing to pay the highest price for it.

Did the OPEC embargo in the 1970s trigger any invasions of oil rich countries with weak defenses? Why not?

If our only goal was to get our hands on Iraqi oil, and we had no concerns about what ends the proceeds from the sale would be turned to, wouldn't it have been much more logical to make a deal with Saddam and pass the strategic about-face off as pragmatism?

If our only end in Iraq was to secure with force what we could already easily obtain on the open market - why did we leave the oil fields in Saddam's hands after '91? Why not occupy Kuwait under some pretext related to the '91 war and secure geographic control over their resources as well?

Did oil suddenly become a strategic consideration between '91 and 02/03?

Is there any factual evidence that the war was the result of a conspiracy undertaken to enrich oil companies? Were Tony Blair, Aznar, Major, etc, etc, etc, etc, in on the conspiracy or were they unwilling dupes? How is it that masterminds behind such a conspiracy weren't able to pull off lesser conspiracy to plant WMD in Iraq, or that the same masterminds failed to comprehend the political damage that the failure to find any would cast on the entire enterprise?

How do the oil reserves in Afghanistan account for our continued presence there?

And finally:

Is uncritical rejection of every claim put forth by a given government logically superior to uncritical acceptance of the same?

For the folks sticking to the ChimpyMcHileroBurtonatGloboCabalOsamaisamythand911wasaninsidejob ItsAboutOilforChenyetetcetcetc crew:

Was the world reeling from an oil embargo/shortage before the war? We seemed to be getting all of the oil that we needed just fine before the war began, via the miracle of the world oil market, in which the oil - once inside the tankers - invariably goes to the buyer willing to pay the highest price for it.

Did the OPEC embargo in the 1970s trigger any invasions of oil rich countries with weak defenses? Why not?

If our only goal was to get our hands on Iraqi oil, and we had no concerns about what ends the proceeds from the sale would be turned to, wouldn't it have been much more logical to make a deal with Saddam and pass the strategic about-face off as pragmatism?

If our only end in Iraq was to secure with force what we could already easily obtain on the open market - why did we leave the oil fields in Saddam's hands after '91? Why not occupy Kuwait under some pretext related to the '91 war and secure geographic control over their resources as well?

Did oil suddenly become a strategic consideration between '91 and 02/03?

Is there any factual evidence that the war was the result of a conspiracy undertaken to enrich oil companies? Were Tony Blair, Aznar, Major, etc, etc, etc, etc, in on the conspiracy or were they unwilling dupes? How is it that masterminds behind such a conspiracy weren't able to pull off lesser conspiracy to plant WMD in Iraq, or that the same masterminds failed to comprehend the political damage that the failure to find any would cast on the entire enterprise?

How do the oil reserves in Afghanistan account for our continued presence there?

And finally:

Is uncritical rejection of every claim put forth by a given government logically superior to uncritical acceptance of the same?

Well thought out. there be no answer, only V7 hate.

Neener.

It would be more salient if you bothered to read the thread.

If you can't refute the argument, pretend it doesn't exist. Excellent.

so hitler walks into bar and goes up to the bartender and says " i am going to kill 6 million jews and two circus clowns". the bartender replies " what the fuck are you going to kill two circus clowns for"? hitler replies "see i told you that no one cares about the jews".

2 in front , 3 in back and the rest in the ashtray. (95)

p.s. the opinion and implied insensibility expressed by the above public humour is in no way endorsed by virendra7 , its agents,heirs or ex-wives and descendants, but is solely provided as a mathematical exercise.