HELP PLEAZ...not climbing related

Knottygirl

OK so this has nothing to do with climbing but I am hoping to acquire some advice here. I live in a fairly large house hold 5 total. 3 of us are on the lease. One girl, Laura, is on the lease as a "recognized room mate" because she already has an eviction on her rental history. As of late she has gone completely crazy :crazy:

so we tried to give her thirty days. She refused and says take me to court....so that's the direction we are headed. Which will probably take forever! In the meantime she is trying to make our life HELL. Blaring the stereo at random times, like 3AM and a variety of other things. It seems like it is super hard to get someone out of the house! Oh the landlord doesn't like her at all...she actually flipped out on the landlord at one point. But it seems the landlord wants us to do the dirty work.

Has anyone gone through this before? Discuss...I need advice and some humor here :crosseye:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are fucked. You let her move in with you without being on the lease. The landlord can actually evict you all (assuming your lease had the standard no-sub-let and ltd # of people clauses).

I rent to a fair number of people and I can tell you that when you want them out and they don't want to leave, you are in for a tough, tough fight.

I moved in after she had lived her for like 6mo. Landlord put her down as a recognized roomie. The landlord loves us...hates laura. yeah it sucks. i don't understand why she would want to live in a house where every one wants her out. I also don't understand how she can't be evicted when she's continually disrupting the harmony of the house!

I moved in after she had lived her for like 6mo. Landlord put her down as a recognized roomie. The landlord loves us...hates laura. yeah it sucks. i don't understand why she would want to live in a house where every one wants her out. I also don't understand how she can't be evicted when she's continually disrupting the harmony of the house!

I don't know what "recognized roomie" means. I have never heard a term used like that in a legal sense.

And if your landlord let her in, he needs to get her out. Calling the cops is the best way to handle this, and having that on her record will help you when you go to court over her.

What does the lease say?

If I were the landlord I'd have written the lease so I have a month-to-month agreement with everyone on the lease. I'd have the right to cancel the agreement given whatever notice was specified in the lease (a minimum is dictated by your local laws) and draw up a new agreement.

I know things get way hairier when someone resists and you have to actually evict them, I'm not familiar with the legal workings, I've just seen it from the landlord's perspective before and know it's a big pain in the ass. BUT, it's a pain in the landlord's ass, I don't think you as a co-tenant has any part to play. Probably your landlord was hoping you guys could resolve the issue without it becoming a pain in his/her ass.

The problem would be best solved by having a meetup with the other tennants who dislike her and deciding on a course of action. Some suggested ideas are:

Put cornflakes in her bed.

Eat all her food in the fridge.

Take the valve cores from her car's tires, thereby flattening the tires without damaging them.

Spray her clothes with skunk urine from a hunting store.

Just be creative and don't get caught. She can't press charges if she doesn't know who did it.

do you live in Oregon or Washington state?

part of the problem I would imagine is that "Laura" is going to have a hard time finding another place to live given her history and mental state. Maybe she feels she has no where to go and cant afford a place by herself and thinks she "cant" leave. not to get too soft on you, but maybe you all need to sit down and have a heart to heart intervention / conversasion Oprah style. she obviously needs help. if you have done this already, do it again in a non-threatening matter and try to reach out. see if you can help her through whatever is troubling her w/o the end result of forcing her out. you need some kind of mediator too. you dont want her to feel ganged up on. there needs to be neutral party involved.

i don't understand why she would want to live in a house where every one wants her out.

Because she's a Crazy Bitch. Normal people think the way you say, like "I'm not wanted here and I'm unhappy, I will go somewhere else." Crazy Bitches don't care, all they care about is fighting as much as possible with anyone who will pick up the glove, even if it keeps them from actually being happy. This is drama. She will never have any lack of it in her life because she is the source of it.

I've only had the pleasure of one crazy roomate. Seemed to be normal at the outset.... turns out he was passive aggressive ass. Couldn't abide the dishwasher, shower, or any running water when we was anything resembling asleep. He was an ex submariner, so he said the sound of the water freaked him out. Of course he worked odd hours so was asleep in the afternoon/early evening, and in the morning. Ranted and raved and bitched and moaned and threatened. At one point he showed up in the kitchen with a hammer threw it on floor and said my roomate could make more noise with that. Because we all know how loud making microwave popcorn is :crazy: Luckily it only took the tense unpleasant, this situation is as untenable for you as it is for us, so what will it take for you to leave?

He may have been an ass but he wasn't completely unreasonable. I think a lot of it was just figuring out how to approach him that so he didn't go on the defensive immediately. Kind of phrased as we could have handled it better, he could have handled, we don't care who's right/wrong, but it's making everyone miserable (him included) so how can we fix it.

Of course if she's truly just a whack job who's having fun tormenting you all then you're up a creek :)

on the flip side I had an aunt who went through 4 roomates in her first year of college before the school determined it was easier to give her own room. She just proved she was a bigger bitch then they where. You, know the fun little touches like lighting off firecrackers under their bed in the middle of night.

my understanding was if she is not on the lease you just need to call the cops and say she is trespassing. if she is on the lease you are looking at two months of eviction procedings. the fact that she is obviously wacko can work to her legal advantage.

unless you really love the place you might want to move out and leave her there for the landlord to deal with. it's really the landlord's problem anyway (non-payment of rent).

do you live in Oregon or Washington state?

part of the problem I would imagine is that "Laura" is going to have a hard time finding another place to live given her history and mental state. Maybe she feels she has no where to go and cant afford a place by herself and thinks she "cant" leave. not to get too soft on you, but maybe you all need to sit down and have a heart to heart intervention / conversasion Oprah style. she obviously needs help. if you have done this already, do it again in a non-threatening matter and try to reach out. see if you can help her through whatever is troubling her w/o the end result of forcing her out. you need some kind of mediator too. you dont want her to feel ganged up on. there needs to be neutral party involved.

Is craziness contagious? WTF are you talking about? Get the chick out of your home and return to normalcy.

my understanding was if she is not on the lease you just need to call the cops and say she is trespassing. if she is on the lease you are looking at two months of eviction procedings. the fact that she is obviously wacko can work to her legal advantage.

unless you really love the place you might want to move out and leave her there for the landlord to deal with. it's really the landlord's problem anyway (non-payment of rent).

This is incorrect. If you let the person move in, they are not trespassing.

Is craziness contagious? WTF are you talking about? Get the chick out of your home and return to normalcy.

SERIOUSLY. They already tried to help this POOR GIRL just by putting her on the lease, and the show of good faith is biting them in the collective ass. The CB will never quit causing problems. Get her gone.