What altimeter do you have??? GPS?

Klimber

I just about a Highgear Alittech 2 and am wondering if it's the best choice. what does everyone else use? I also considred a GPS since it's more accurate but I want to wait until the SIRF chipset is in the cheaper GPS units.

Looking at all the Altimeters on trailspace it seems this is a decent altimeter although there aren't that many reviews. I have also seen more people with it than other altimeters.

Anyone use a GPS?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the other altimeter watches only read up to high 13k'. I did a climb in Nepal and needed one that went well beyond that (I think mine tops around 30k').

It seems very accurate, but of course you need to mind taking a base reading at a known elevation when you start out... really no diff than any other barometric pressure-based altimeter.

The vectors only cost $150-$200.

With it's built in compass I find it pretty cool and useful watch. My only reservation is on technical climbs when I'm bending my wrist a lot, I find that the back of my hand presses buttons and I'm constantly finding that I'm in "logging mode" which eats the battery quicker.

Expect to replace the battery about once a year; not a big deal but it's something to factor in.

I am also a big fan of the suunto watches. The vector is great but is you want a smaller, more durable, and actually a bit nicer looking (if you are going to where it every day) the suunto observer is a great choice. It has all of the same features of the vector (altimeter, baromter, temp, time, compass) in a sleeker design. The case is stainless steel and you can get a few different band types (plastic titanium etc) It retails for $300 but you can find it for cheaper if you look around. They are also very quite accurate. Just make sure you calibrate your compass out side and change the battery with suunto's change kit because it replaces the waterproof gasket (otherwise you can get condensation inside)

I've been very happy with my Suunto Altimax. It's pretty much a Vector without the compass function.

Note that GPS altitude measurements can be somewhat inaccurate. From the bit I've read, I don't get the impression that the SiRF technology will improve that.

My only reservation is on technical climbs when I'm bending my wrist a lot, I find that the back of my hand presses buttons and I'm constantly finding that I'm in "logging mode" which eats the battery quicker...

Yeah, I find that a watch altimeter is in the wrong place when I need it, too. I don't want to bare my hands/wrists, undo velcro, pull up my sleeves, etc to get a look. I don't want it restricting the motion of my wrists. I don't care to have it banging against rock or ice. You can get a lanyard adapter at REI, which basically replaces the wristband with a bit that attaches to a lanyard supposedly to hang around your neck. I went a step further, removed the neck lanyard and clip it instead to a keychain biner. Then I clip it to my packstrap (or anywhere else). I like it much better than on the wrist.

I just got a Polar AXN 700 which has a HR monitor, compass, altimeter, barometer, etc... I was able to get it for $300 but they list for $430 or $450. It's got more features than I will ever use and it is the biggest watch I have ever seen. I am going to get the lanyard/carabiner & elastic wrist band that is avavilable. The one thing that sucks about this watch is the alarm. It is so quite that it's a joke and pointless.

I had a Suunto X3hr. It worked for a year before it died. For $150, you should get more than a year out of a watch. The $12 watch I wear everyday has held up better and I work construction.

I just got a Polar AXN 700 ..... The one thing that sucks about this watch is the alarm. It is so quite that it's a joke and pointless.

That would be my only complaint against the Altimax (and I assume the Vector as well). The alarm is too quiet, but at least there are three that you can set in series.

I just got a Polar AXN 700 ..... The one thing that sucks about this watch is the alarm. It is so quite that it's a joke and pointless.

That would be my only complaint against the Altimax (and I assume the Vector as well). The alarm is too quiet, but at least there are three that you can set in series.

I contacted Polar about it and due to their response, it is going back. That watch is so big, it made my Suunto look like a kids watch. weighed over 3oz.

I was looking at the Suunto Advisor (most of the same features). Is the alarm really hard to hear also?

Jedi

Alta Sports Altimeter. http://www.sportsinstruments.com/sport.html

I believe that it handles elevations up to 30k, but I haven't gone above 14 to test it. After 3 years of use, I recently sent it in for a new battery ($15 includes return postage). Never had a problem with it and it doesn't drift much. A friend has the same and has had no troubles with it. It comes with two bands. The longer one allows you to wear the watch over a base layer and jacket. Alarm is loud enough and the best part is the price, a steal for as low as $60. My only complaints would be that it is a little bulky (though perhaps comperable to other alt. watches) and the fit around the wrist is a little goofy... a bit narrow.

I'll add a vote for the Suunto Altimax. I had a Vector, but the compass function was simply another screen that I had to pass through more often then not. I find the alarm plenty loud enough in a tent. Its my primary navigation tool.

For a GPS, I've been using a Garmin E-Trex Vista, but I'm starting to believe its too big for my purposes. I'm getting ready to purchase a Gecko or something similar. All I want to use it for is to enter and follow waypoints for alpine whiteout navigation.

I was looking at the Suunto Advisor (most of the same features). Is the alarm really hard to hear also?

Jedi

Yep, John - unfortunately the Suunto alarm is pretty meek as well. Other than that it's a great tool: super dependable and certainly as accurate as any of 'em.

As for GPS: Foretrex 101 weighs ~2oz and wiil find a waypoint perfectly w/o uneccesary bells and whistles