Ice axe recommendation

Klimber

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you're going to be very interested in mountaineering? If you are not absolutely sure (or even if you are) going cheap makes good sense. If you find you love climbing you'll be able to figure out what you really want in an axe and then go buy it next year. Buy something used off the yardsale or CL.

Heck I've got a Raven I'll sell you (I think it's a 60?) if you live near Seattle.

raven pro is a great general mountaineering axe (and has an all-steel head), as is the regular raven for a few less bucks and only slightly heavier.

for more technical routes, the air tech evo is a great axe, but it is spendy and if you aren't going to need it's technical prowess, probably not worth it.

Kind of tangential, but the new grivel air tech racing has a steel spike and slight curve to the shaft.

The head is chromoly and looks mostly the same as the air tech evo, except that the pick is a bit thinner and has bevels in the teeth (like a technical pick).

thanks very much for your help, I have ordered the BD Raven Pro 65cm. Hopefully it will be the right size but if not I will exchange it out. And if I get really into technical climbing then I will certainly look at the voice axe.

Again, thanks your input was very helpful.

I like the old school style of axes of the newer short length. Go for steel head type. Light is nice on the trail, though you may crap your pants on steep ice, frenching with a nasty drop below you. I look at the lighter axes but the above situation in

mind keeps my old trusty steel axe, guide weight on my pack. The

old school axes have the straight point on the bottom end, I prefer it to the newer style for frenching.

Dan