vbl socks

peterclimb

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plastic bread bags work just as well as the vbl socks I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't know how well actual vbl socks work because I've never tried them. Though vbl socks do wear out quickly and are probably not worth the expense.

I think that the idea of vbl for the feet is great. It can keep your plastic boot liners dry on long trips, and even make your feet warmer in cold conditions.

[This message has been edited by dbb (edited 01-19-2001).]

I've used VBL liners as well as breadbags/plastic shopping bags like are normally found in a grocery store and my advice is to save the money and just use the bread bags.

If you do use them--and I only recommend it for very cold environments--be sure and use a thin sock between your skin and the bag, then a thicker sock over it. Dry your feet off every night, remove the liner sock and allow it to dry in your bag otherwise you're potentially creating more problems then helping. Foot powder comes in handy too.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

There is a guy in Cincinnati Ohio, beleive it or not, that sells lots of odds and ends for climbers that you can't find elsewhere.

I know he used to carry a VBL sock. I think it was made/distributed by Climb High?

His name is Larry Sickman, and he runs a shop called the "Self-propelled outdoorsman." I am sure if you called 411 they would give you his number.

Good luck.

Oven roasting bags.Thinner, lighter, more durable, more waterproof and cheaper. Keeps your footwear insulation drier on multi-day cold weather trips. Foot care as mentioned by Rob is very important. Your feet need to dry out overnight. You can spend the money on comercial VBL socks, but they won't work as well.

[This message has been edited by Retrosaurus (edited 02-17-2001).]

Decided not to use commercial socks but go with o v e n bags, the ones for chicken fit quite well (funny, huh smile.gif. Didn't notice that it was any warmer than without the bags but the inner booties and the outer socks were dry, great! Didn't feel the bags at all, no discomfort, no noise.

Commercial socks I am afraid would limit my sock and fit choices and may even create problems.

A question: do you wrap the bags over the underware (pants) or under or maybe trimming them to the sock or boot height? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I used twice Climbhigh VBLs and they didn't last ONE trip. I first went to Willard in Jan 2001. I diligently took the VBLs off the first night and discovered holes and failed lamination. When I got back I returned them and got a size smaller, same result but this time at a small one pitch climb in NJ. Well that's my experience and BTW I posted a similar query after my climbhighs failed.

Good Luck!

Gerard

my feet sweat like crazy, so i've used vb's since i was a kid in new england. i left them home once on a winter trip up rainier and frostbit 6 toes even tho i wore thick sox in plastic boots. between patrolling and my own multi day trips i wear them on average 1 of every 2 days all winter and spring. on two ocasions i've worn them for 4 weeks straight. here's what i've learned; plastic bags migrate all around in my boots and my toes would usually rip thru the front.hadn't thought or cooking bags. ill try them.

when temps are in the teens or warmer i use neoprene sox from hunters catologes,K-mart or big five. they crush after about 2 seasons but they're cheap. it's important to fit neoprene sox well. Illamani has it right.

for cold trips i use coated nylon sox. i've found the ones with that white coating bunch up and migrate much more than urethane coated. they tend to cost more and last half as long as well. i make my own now and seal the seams with aqua seal{the only stuff that stays on}. i've tried every kind of liner sock and nothing works better than mens thin synthetic dress sox.

you HAVE to maintain your foot health. keep your nails trimmed, dont allow any kind of cut or blister to form. on a trip longer than 2 or 3 days a blister wont be an inconvenience, it will STOP you. use a foot powder with a STRONG antifungal every morning. take them off every night to let your feet breathe. trenchfoot=blisters=game over. give your feet a good rubdown each night with your dry wool sox to stimulate the skin. prevention is the key. my longest is 29 days straight with no problems. i could have gone much longer.

you may think your feet will be swimming, but they stop perspiring when your skin senses 100 percent humidity. my liners and feet are bone dry less than 2 minutes after taking off my vbl's

Illamani, try tossing your footbeds and replace them with 1/8 inch cork.{ fred meyer- for bulliten boards} glue on some ripstop so it wont crack. it insulates well{boats} and it wont crush like foam.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Little Willie

p.s. for hands,I've had good luck with dishwashing gloves, the ones with the fuzz inside.buy a little large. wear thin gloves over them NOT inside, then your favorite handwear. I tried neoprene several times and they just don't work.

p.p.s am i long winded?

I've used the same pair of Black Diamond VBLs for about 8 winters now. Just beginning to show wear in the heels. My only complaint is that they sometimes bunch up in the ankle, a potential blister problem. My wife uses a thin neoprene sock as VBL/insulation; has worked well for her.

I don't find that VBLs necessarily keep my feet that much warmer. Especially at cold belays my feet will get cold; they are no substitute for adequate foot/body insulation. They do, however, keep your outer socks and liner boots dry. A VBL is lots easier to dry or de-ice than is a sock or inner boot, even a foam one.

Considerations. As noted by several others you HAVE TO dry your feet every day. Trenchfoot sounds really ugly, and it makes your feet more prone to frostbite. Second, antiperspirant helps. Not only will your feet stay drier inside the VBLs, but they'll smell better too, which your tentmates will appreciate. Finally, if you go the neoprene route, don't size especially snug if you plan to go to altitude. The gas bubbles in the neoprene can expand, slowing circulation to your feet.

That's about it. Hope this helps.