Assiniboine

CraigA

I don't know how to pronounce it, but I came across this mountain while searching for something completely different. After looking at a few pictures of it I believe I have to climb it. Has anyone here done it and is it worth the effort? Is the climbing as awesome as the mountain looks? When is the best time to do it?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Craig

[ 10-27-2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: CraigA ]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by CraigA:

Has anyone here done it and is it worth the effort? Is the climbing as awesome as the mountain looks? When is the best time to do it?

If you haven't found this yet, I think it is in the book _Selected Alpine Climbs of the Canadian Rockies_ published by Rocky Mountain Books

Haven't done it, don't know anyone who has, so I don't have much useful to say really. [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-27-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

Two buddies of mine did it two years ago while i had to work to pay for school. Flew their stuff in (you can only do this on full moons in months ending in r or something like that), did it the next day and walked out in about a thirty hour trip. Standard route is like 5.5, with only a pitch or two to rope up for apparently. Rock is solid choss. Expect company as it's a big tick. Lots of [sNAFFLEHOUND] Oh and it's in BC (lots of 'Berts for some reason think it's theirs!) It's pronounced "The "Boiner"

the mountain can be done comfortably as a 4 day trip (2days to bivouac hut at the base of the north side, 1 day climb then down to the meadows, and 1 day out from the lodge). I would not recommend the standard North Ridge (mostly loose 3rd class) but if you climb some in the rockies it should not be a surprise. The North face is a good climb in the right conditions (ice and mixed). The area is beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

YES it's very much worth it. Did in in 1989, before this sport got so crowded. Recommend short rope technique as there is much loose rock. North ridge route is pretty spectacular climbing even though mostly 3rd / 4th class, with a 5.6 rock band located about 2/3rds of the way to the top. Wear a helmut as other climbers will be knocking loose rock down on you, and rope up! The mountain sees a fair number of fatal falls by the foolishly brave. The summit views are pretty amazing for someone not used to climbing in Canada heh? Tiz surrounded by a sea of peaks in all directions. Take my advice and save up for the flight in/out from Canmore, or face the 25 mile hike both ways. We went in July and there was still a fair amount of snow/ice to make it interesting. Enjoy!