car problem???

lI1|1!

'89 pathfinder manual transmission

will not go into gear, not first, not reverse, nothing despite a lot of pushing. i noticed a problem getting it in gear a couple days ago but then it worked fine again. also the clutch feels funny, if i press it all the way down and then slip my foot off it returns slowly at first and then pops up.

obvious problem? solution? anybody? thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ohhhhhhhh, this has some serious possibilities for those quacks over in the "Lewd?" thread. Arch and DeC oughta be along in just a sec to help you out. :laf:

EDIT: Damn! He's fast. But you're gonna leave those open shots untouched?

lot of pushing

feels funny

it returns slowly at first and then pops up

'89 pathfinder manual transmission

will not go into gear, not first, not reverse, nothing despite a lot of pushing. i noticed a problem getting it in gear a couple days ago but then it worked fine again. also the clutch feels funny, if i press it all the way down and then slip my foot off it returns slowly at first and then pops up.

obvious problem? solution? anybody? thanks.

step away from the bong!

This could be one of 4 options:

Bad Master cylinder,

Bad slave cylinder

bad clutch,

or just air in the hydrolic line.

Hard to tell exactly what it is without seeing it, of course, but a quick way to check it out is to check the fluid level under the hood. The clutch mast cylinder sits right next to the brake master cylinder. Pop the top of the clutch master cylinder and make sure there is fluid in it. If the paint on the fire wall is bubbled then you know that you have a bad master cylinder.

If that checks out ok, then you may need to bleed out the slave cylinder that is located between the transmission and engine either left or right side, (prob need a metric 8 , 10 or 12 to brake bleeder loose). You will need one person in the truck to pump up the clutch in reps of 10 pumps and holding it to the floor till the bleeder is opened and then closed. You probably know the drill.

Good luck pal. PM me if you you have any specific questions after working through these steps.

Wow, I thought you were a chick.

Sorry about that.

She is. :rolleyes:

I guess in the future all attempts at sarcasm and wit need to be made overly simple and clear to make sure those clinging to the bottom of the bell curve don't get shaken off.

Kevbone, you're such a tool.

Arch, I'll pm you once I tear into my van!

Wow, I thought you were a chick.

Sorry about that.

She is. :rolleyes:

i went to the dealership to look at a suby outback. the dealer proceeded to show me the cargo netting in the back for holding my groceries and the dual vanity mirrors. oh goodee! after ignoring my questions about the engine, he proceeding to share with my husband, the ground clearance, hp, and torque. my husband looked at him and said "it's her car, talk to her about it." we left.

Have someone depress the clutch and listen/check for signs (spurting sound, etc) of a hydraulic leak in the clutch line.

If you haven't encountered any previous clutch slipping during acceleration, it probably isn't the clutch itself.

Agreed. It is probably in the fluid line, just a matter of checking it all out. If the master checks out ok and you bleed the line and it works at first then does the same thing, you will need to replace the slave cylinder. Remember to disconnect the feed line and 2 mounting bolts on the slave, reinstall the new one and proceed to fill up the master cylinder again, and then start your bleeding process all over again. That's the part chicks know about.

Have someone depress the clutch and listen/check for signs (spurting sound, etc) of a hydraulic leak in the clutch line.

If you haven't encountered any previous clutch slipping during acceleration, it probably isn't the clutch itself.

Agreed. It is probably in the fluid line, just a matter of checking it all out. If the master checks out ok and you bleed the line and it works at first then does the same thing, you will need to replace the slave cylinder. Remember to disconnect the feed line and 2 mounting bolts on the slave, reinstall the new one and proceed to fill up the master cylinder again, and then start your bleeding process all over again. That's the part chicks know about.

Are you telling him, even if he's not willing, he should be able to get by with doing this once a month?

Are you telling him, even if he's not willing, he should be able to get by with doing this once a month?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.