Silver Star in winter

rob

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silver Star is one that's been on my list for a while. Is this a good winter route? Which route do people usually take? Silver Glacier? What's the winter access like?

tia!

We did it in April last year, but winter-like conditions (~ 10deg overnight). The road was open to Silver Star creek so no skinning on the approach, and we did the Glacier via SS Creek. Awesome approach....booted ~ 300 vf in the forest near the start, but skinned from there to camp, and ultimately to the Col before ditching the skis and booting to the summit (~ 300 vf).

Had a 30M meter rando rope and light rack for class 4 summit scramble. Slung a block and used a BD#1 to get the last 20 VF to the true summit. Folks sans rope did not feel comfortable doing the last bit to the summit the day before. Views were amazing....highly recommended.

Skied for the Col@ 8500' all the way to the car.

Good winter route sure. Its non-technical, easy terrain that should have some good skiing on the way down. The approach is off highway 20 up through trees at first, then break out of the trees after some uphill into valley bottom, then path of least resistance to summit. In the Spring and Summer its an easy day trip (on skis). In winter you might camp at the gate, or probably up the approach a few hours where you first break out of the trees and there is some flatness.

If you are not on skis I would strongly recommend you wait until summer time.

I'm wit Alex. Plan a time to get to the bottom. There has been sufficient snow this year that they have the Hwy closed back at Early Winters Campground. It's about 9 miles to where you will leave the road then a few more to get out of the trees.

It's a nice route but this year unless you get a sled to help or plan some extra skiing the approach takes a bit.

Sweet, thx for the beta! Yikes, sounds like quite an approach.

Alex, do you recommend skis simply for flotation, or for ease of descent? In other words, do you think snowshoes would be a fair substitute? I gotta learn me to ski one day.

Edited by robmcdan

Ski's or slowshoes would be fine on the road. Unless there is a lot of fresh stuff you can even boot the road. Once you go off road the flotation might be nice.

Of course on the way back out there is plenty of hill and the last three miles go by in a long gentle hill. I'll give you two guesses which one is nice then. ;)

I forgot again to load up my pics from that area from a little over a week ago. I will try to get them up tommorow.

Silverstar really is the ideal ski route. This is a long route and hoofing it on snowshoes, especially with no added benefit to those snowshoes on the significant amount of downhill terrain you'll do on the way out, really doesnt make sense in the winter, even with two days.

Given the choice of Silverstar on snowshoes or just about anything else, I'd take just about anything else. Colchuck/Enchantments on snowshoes, Ice Cliff Glacier w/ snowshoes come to mind as much better alternatives - less road overall getting in there, more "snowshoe-friendly" terrain (tight trees, narrow trail) in general.

I would not wish snowshoes on my worse enemy for the descent from Silver Star creek to Early Winters CG. Even if you don't ski, find some skis and use them on the road at least... the one time I did it, the 8 mile deproach was a pleasant half hour glide on skis... as opposed to the 3 hour death march it would be on snowshoes.

Skis or snowshoes, I think the ideal time to do this climb is once they get 20 open to Silver Star Creek, but before they get it open all the way over the pass. I Don't know if this is handled the same every year, but last year (by mid/late april), they opened the section between Early Winters and Silver Star Creek, before they opened it all the way to the pass. That way you don't have to hoof/ski an extra 8 miles to the start of the trail, and it isn't as crowded as when everyone is able to come over the north route. However, per earlier comments, this is more of an awesome ski tour with a bonus summit, so skis make it much more fun. I've heard the summer Burgundy Col approach is quite a schlep, and there will be crowds, so it still might be a more aesthetic climb in winter/spring than in the summer - just wait until they get Highway 20 open to SS Creek.

I think going to bite the bullet and teach myself to ski.

Splurge and take a lesson or two and spend some time on the lifts. Seriously. I tried to teach myself to ski and suffered many a garage sale over several years before I swallowed my pride and took a lesson. I improved more after one lesson then years of trying on my own.

I think going to bite the bullet and teach myself to ski.

Splurge and take a lesson or two and spend some time on the lifts. Seriously. I tried to teach myself to ski and suffered many a garage sale over several years before I swallowed my pride and took a lesson. I improved more after one lesson then years of trying on my own.

This is particularly important considering the top-heaviness of a skier/climber with a pack on his/her back which allows for awesome headplant opportunity.