[TR] Lillooet, BC - Oregon Jack, Shreddie Attempt, Closet Secrets 1/20/2007

Matt_Alford

Trip: Lillooet, BC - Oregon Jack, Shreddie Attempt, Closet Secrets

Date: 1/20/2007

Trip Report:

I met Alan in B-Ham late Friday and crashed for a few hours. Woke early and rolled to Oregon Jack. Fat, cold, brittle. I broke a pick and had to lower and reload. Second attempt and I broke my face when I tapped a microwave sized blob a little to hard. Cussing, bleeding, and more climbing followed. Dr. Kearney inspected the wounds and prescribed steri-strips and Jack Daniels.

Oregon Jack in Fat Conditons

IMG_0586.jpg

Wounded

IMG_0595.jpg

Recovering

IMG_0598.jpg

Sunday we drove South 99 to go and have a "look" at Shreddie. Much warmer today. I led first pitch to the cave, should have brought raingear and umbrella. Alan led up 30 feet out of cave onto bad ice and with bad pro. We bailed and had a go at Closet Secrets next door. A little thin in places, but good pro and good rests.

Canadian hardmen Craig and Joe showed up and sent Shreddie in leashless style. Snapped some photos of them on the steeps.

Good times in BC.

Shreddie

IMG_0606.jpg

Alan on pitch one

IMG_06121.jpg

Alan climbing out of cave

IMG_0615.jpg

Closet Secrets

IMG_0626.jpg

Craig following on Shreddie

IMG_0619.jpg

Approach Notes:

Head North to border, smile and show passport, continue north.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding Lillooet...how does the area hold up through the year "usually"? I am trying to plan a mid february trip with a friend and we wanted to go somewhere different than montucky (where we are both from - he still lives there). canada seemed like a good bet, but if the ice conditions aren't anywhere near dependable, i might choose to avoid the guessing game and go with what i know. any thoughts are appreciated.

and yes, i am aware that ice is unpredictable. :/

there is almost always climbable ice in february, but you could be screwed if you came to lillooet in mid-feb hoping for a lot of ice. or you could luck out with fine ice. cause .... there is no way any one can predict now how much ice there will be in in lillooet mid-feb. might be 2 routes or 100.