thanks

layton

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my term insurance through my professional association, and they have no restrictions regarding climbing or other "dangerous" hobbies.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of associations you might belong to, but Google tells me that you can get term life through the ICA...

http://www.chiropractic.org/index.php?p=services/main

or through the ACA

http://www.amerchiro.org/level2_css.cfm?T1ID=23&T2ID=112

If you're a member of one of these groups they might be worth a try. I know I get a way better deal this way than if I bought the same coverage through an agent. 9 cents per month per thousand of coverage ($108 per year per $100,000) and I get a refund based on how many claims they pay out, which means I usually get about half my premium back.

Funny shit happened to me years ago... I'm a scuba diver also and mentioned that I had been to a depth of 160... I was full of shit and had been well below 200 many times.. got my ass axed for being a stupid person and my insurance was denied.... I say lie like a rug and go forth and do those bitchin climbs.... sucks to tell most of the truth.

First, I'd like to say hello to all of you.

I've been a lurker here for awhile and enjoy

reading this forum.

I am a licensed insurance agent for one of the Big 3 Insurance Companies. Here's some information you may find useful in deciding how to answer some questions on a life application.

Life insurance policies generally contain an "Incontestable Clause". This clause states that for the initial two years of the policies existance, the insurer may contest any statements made by the applicant on the application, if the insurer wishes to deny coverage. In other words, after the contract has been in effect for a specific length of time, the insurance company agrees not to challenge any statements made by the applicant on the application. The existence of this clause is unique to insurance contract since it is contrary to general fraud laws. It simply states that an insurer, following the contestable period, may not claim that any misstatements in the application were made with the intent of the policywoner/insured to defraud.

The Incontestable clause also assures that a named beneficiary will not have to substantiate any statements which were made on the application several years after the policy has been issued. In this situation, it would be extremely difficult for the named beneficiary and others to supply or substatiate information if the insurer contested the contract at the time of the insureds death.

Hope this sheds some light on your question.

Sherry

The existence of this clause is unique to insurance contract since it is contrary to general fraud laws.

Not only that, it appears to override a traditional expectation that all parties to an agreement have an equal obligation of honesty.

Mister Layton: With absolutely no intent to preach or advise, I would at least predict that if you give up the ciggies tomorrow and keep climbing all your days you will one day look back and praise the wisdom of both choices.