where to go???

amanda

Hey, my friend and I are in Seattle Washington and we are planning to go hiking on the 29th and 30th (of Dec) and I was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to where we could go...Mt. Hood isn't looking so good at the moment and i'm trying to think of a fun, safe place to go in this weather. i havent done a ton of winter hiking, so i could use some advice. thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Amanda. You might get a better response if you ask at NW Hikers.

You will probably get a nicer response for sure, but the knowledge base here is much greater. The approaches to the cascade peaks are so rugged that climbers hike everywhere hikers go plus a whole lot more places than even the "Michael Jordans" of off trail hiking.

north to south some ideas

baker hwy - go to ski area upper lot on snowshoe up to herman saddle, maybe summit mazama dome. (sounds big but it is a easy snowshoe day)

hwy 20 - sauk mtn. will need to hike some loggin road then hike up R side of face, where summer trail is.

mtn loop hwy - mt dickerman trail. A summer trail that gets to an actual summit. really nice views is the weather is good. Quite often a trail is beat in if the weather has been good for a couple days.

hwy 2 - from stevens pass hwy, head up opposite ridge from ski area, very often a boot pack exists.

hwy 90 - tromp around snoq pass either into source lake or commonwealth basin. Pick what looks good when you get there. Also usually a boot pack exists.

Rainier area - not sure of status of road but around unicorn peak is sweet.

With that, all these places could be considered safe and/or dangerous. Too many factors but if the weather is good and the avi hazard is low, then the above would be good options for a fit hiker with good common sense.