Climbing Physics

Farrgo

All of these recent threads about equipment failures, whether it be aliens or dynemee, has gotten me thinking about the actual nuts and bolts of why stuff is, or isn't, working. Does anyone know of a good book on climbing physics for someone who has little or no physics knowledge. Keep in mind that I have read the Climbing Anchors book 1000 times and understand simply concepts like how and why an anchor is equalized. Still, some of the posts used terms I'd never hear

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary's right, the real world is often difficult to describe with equations, but everyone should know the basics which are important. There are a lot of concepts which can be put to good use if you never read a single climbing book. Like how large angles in an anchor's cordelette astronomically increases the force on the piece. Like when you fall, the force of your fall is (in theory) doubled on a piece above the belay because it's like a pulley. Average physics ignoramus Joe may think, "Hey, my rope won't let a force happen more than X kN, so I can fall all I want on this little nut!" However, it's impossible to make exact predictions because there are so many variables (friction in various places, rope stretch and age, static-ness of belay, weight of climbers, etc.).

I've taken a couple college level physics classes. So I would say, I know basic physics. However, remembering a little bit of vector analysis is a far cry from really understanding the nuts and bolts of the system. A basic physics book would be good.

I am not looking for anything in particular. I just thought that if a book existed, which described the physics of all things climbing, then I would definately want to purchase it and learn more. However, it seems that there is no authoratative manual on climbing physics out there. I would imagine that you can find lots of information scattered throughout the web, probably on manufacutrer websites and what not. Anybody know where?

A lot of those papers do assume quite a bit of physics knowledge, but its a good start. That coupled with an entry-level physics textbook would probably get the ball rolling.

I think we can all agree that a physics manual tailored specifically toward climbers with little physics would be nice. I would think that it would raise awareness of the limitations of systems quite a bit (I know, I know, its your responsibility to learn this in the first place).

A lot of those papers do assume quite a bit of physics knowledge, but its a good start. That coupled with an entry-level physics textbook would probably get the ball rolling.

yelrotflmao.gif How do you write a climbing physics text with 'little physics'? yelrotflmao.gif Sounds like Freedom of the Hills.

If you want to understand climbing physics, you need to understand physics. There is no shortcut. First year college course covering forces, vectors, Newtons laws, conservation of energy etc. is the absolute minimum. If you want to get fancy, then you move on to calculus, mechanics of deformable bodies etc.