looking for a technical climbing glove

rob

I'm cursed with cold hands, and now that it's getting cooler, I find myself climbing a lot with numb fingers. I hate numb fingers!

I'm looking for a good glove that can handle light/moderate technical rock. Is there such a thing?

Someone recommended OR's Alibi glove -- said it was real sticky. Any advice? Or should I just suck it up?

TIA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start with putting one of those shake n bake handwarmers in your chalkbag - they were awesome out at vantage last february.

If the alibi is that glove with the black and grey fabric and little red rubber blobs on the back then I don't like it - none of the sizes fit my hands well and they provided no appreciable warmth over bare hands.

Right now I'm really diggin my dainese mountain biking gloves. I don't know the model but they're the expensive ones - like $60-70. I haven't used them for technical rock but I loved em for the drytooling at the pdx ice fest. They're slightly insulated (moreso than the OR gloves) and fit my hands like ... well ... a glove, no extra fabric hanging off the tips of a finger or two or anything like that.

Well this is what i use while climbing and carry a pair of belay gloves on the back oif my harness. You get the barfies but you are going to with any dexterious glove. They are grippy and cheap.

p1244064reg.jpg

$7.49

They worked really well with leashless becuase you can feel your tools so well and then you don't overgrip and get pumped too soon. Also as the season goes on your hands will get the barfies with them less.

Back in the '70s doing roofs along the shore of Lake Michigan in late fall and early winter the folks on my crew used to wear really warm clothes over our core and tape stick handwarmers against the underside of our wrists and then eat niacin to force blood out of our core into the extremites. It worked really well and we could shingle all day in below freezing temps and winds without our hands getting cold. I'd suggest skipping the niacin but rigging some means of keeping a couple of those shake-up handwarmer pouches against the undersides of your wrists; preferrably with some sort of buffering material between it and your skin. I'll be trying to come up with an updated version of it for myself for out at Beacon now that its turned cold. I think I've looked at some gloves where they were trying to do this, but I'm not sure they had the "pouch" in the right place relative to the viens / arteries going through the wrist. You could also keep your core temp elevated by rigging a couple of the larger heat packs against your kidneys on each side of your lower back.