smith rock bolt replacement

corvallisclimb

i've been working on replacing bolts out at smith with lots of brand new hardware from asca. since i havent had time to climb all routes out there, im looking for input on routes and anchors that still have old 1/4"s or shitty homemade hangers. this also applys for other high traffic areas in oregon, ive got tons of hardware that i would like to put to good use... so post up when you see work that needs to be done.

picture007smallvq4.jpg

old and new rap anchor from bettes needle on staender ridge

Edited by corvallisclimb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it hasn't been done in the last several years, there needs to be new anchor bolts at the top of the first pitch belay of the West Face Variation on Monkey Face. For many years I have been backing these up with natural gear as one was old and rusty and the other bolt was loose, but I havnt climbed this for about 5 years, so they may have been replaced. If they are still the old ones and you are going to replace those, I would also move them to the other side of the belay nook.

Same with Revelations. It shares anchors with the 10a to the left and has chain links worn 50% through each side from so much TR'ing.

At the 2nd pitch of Zebra/Zion after the 10a corner the anchors are good but there is a second anchor with home made hangars/wires there as well that could be removed. That would be just as worthy to clean as placing new anchor bolts too.

Tyler and I added the first asca bolts in the menagerie yesterday...a modest start but a start. I would like to systematically replace all the rawl shells with 3/8 bombers. markd I would gladly accept any bolts you have since without donations I'll basicly be paying to put a lot of the routes up twice since a lot of the shells to be replaced are mine.