gym climbing w/ extra weight

Gary_Yngve

I decided that I'm cheating myself by climbing in the gym with just shoes and harness, when in the mountains I also have helmet, rack, and possibly food/water/pack.

I went to Big5 Sporting Goods to see if they had a weight belt available, but they just had ankle and wrist weights. So I went to the hardware store and bought three feet of half-inch steel chain (cost me $13 -- it was the cheapest option I could find). Not sure how heavy it is -- I'm guessing about 10 pounds. I'll weigh it sometime.

I can clip the chain into a loop with a locker to make a secure belt for when I'm gymclimbing. I'll let yall know how it goes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided that I'm cheating myself by climbing in the gym with just shoes and harness, when in the mountains I also have helmet, rack, and possibly food/water/pack.

I went to Big5 Sporting Goods to see if they had a weight belt available, but they just had ankle and wrist weights. So I went to the hardware store and bought three feet of half-inch steel chain (cost me $13 -- it was the cheapest option I could find). Not sure how heavy it is -- I'm guessing about 10 pounds. I'll weigh it sometime.

I can clip the chain into a loop with a locker to make a secure belt for when I'm gymclimbing. I'll let yall know how it goes.

damn, hardman in the hoouuussseeee. wave.gif

A pack can interfere with movement and results in a lot more sweaty nastiness.

So you only want your training to compensate for the extra weight a pack brings, but not for the interference with movement (and sweat?) that it brings?

Maybe on odd days you can wear the chain, and on even days you can climb with your arms inside your shirt?

Not sure what gym you're climbing at but if you're at SG there is a stylishly 80's pink and blue weight vest that you can vary the weight of by adding or removing bags of lead shot. It's a good way to get strong and a good way to get injured. As with any strenuous training listen to your body, specifically your tendons in your fingers and back off if they start hurtin.

In my experience the best way to soothe sore tendons is by wrapping them around a frosty mug o' beer.

bigdrink.gif

I'm at the UW gym. I tried the chain yesterday, and it worked great. It doesn't shift around, and the strength difference needed to pull a move is noticeable.

Thanks for the cautions about tendons. I've never pulled one, and I'd like to keep it that way, considering I rely on my fingers for typing, cello, and climbing.

Hey Gary,

I use a 25# neoprene weight vest (its variable weight, actually...small pouches for packing with lead)...its built for track sprinting and hugs the body very close and centers its mass through your trunk instead of off your back...

the results are pretty phenomenal as i leave with a thrashed back/shoulders/abs as opposed to only thrashed gripping muscles...

be warned though, they are not cheap...