Graffiti at The Feathers

catbirdseat

acetone snaf.gif

I'm not a girlie, either, but I've known that acetone = nail polish remover since I was, like, 12. What are they teaching kids in school these days, anyway?

More to the point, acetone is the primary (and typically the only) ingredient in nail polish remover. The other ingredients are typically pigments for color and scents to cover the pungency of straight acetone.

"Wiki" it...

Just don't try to carry it in your nalgene bottle... blush.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nail polish removers typically have, in addition to acetone, various esters, such as butyl acetate.

There aren't many all-purpose paint removers. If you want safe, you have to find the one that is specific to the sort of paint, be it alkyd, enamel, laquer, etc.

The nasty, universal removers all seem to have methylene chloride in them.

acetone is...typically the only...ingredient

didn't know that. thanks wave.gif

Just don't try to carry it in your nalgene bottle... blush.gif

DID know that grin.gif from experience removing a tough sticker frown.gif

Won't be using THAT nalgene for backup rock protection anymore

Dru, I already got the isopropanol packed

willstrickland, thumbs_up.gifthanks for that post about the soy based stuff. great info! don't know if I'll get my hands on it by tomorrow though

Edited by ClimbingPanther

Graffiti remover , paint remover, wire wheels on a battery drill, torch, nothing seems to work sorry to say, a mix of colors and blending of paint has proven to be the best , cheepest and quickest, if you take it on like a artist.

For years painting over of Graffiti after concert season has been done, you would be suprised if some was pointed out, it blends so well.

Good luck and keep up the good work thumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So has the new graffiti removed yet at the feathers? We Saw it there a couple weeks ago while trying to escape the rain at index. I was thinking about a trip to the area again this weekend if index is wet and maybe trying to help out and clean a bit.

Sounds like paint is the best solution? Anybody got the color codes for what matches the rock or is it worth trying to clean it by hand instead?

Sounds good. I don't think we'll make it out this weekend anyway. The weather looks to be good this weekend elsewhere. I'm just glad we don't have to deal with graffiti at all the crags. Vantage is a given but just think if you jumped on some of your favorite alpine routes and ran into a bunch of graffiti. That would really suck!