Air America Going Under?

JayB

Seems to be the consensus from the rumor-mill.

Keeping with this morning's Canada-centric theme, I thought I'd post an essay by Canada's own Mark Steyn on the subject.

"Remember Air America? The brilliant pre-publicity campaign marred only by an ill-advised decision to actually launch the product? The hype was coast to coast, but the station was only in a handful of markets, and a couple of those dumped the station after a bounced check, and most of the senior executives departed after a couple of weeks, which, according to whom you believe, was either part of the original business plan or extremely necessary because one of them was a “former Republican activist from Guam” and thus likely a double-agent for the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. Many decades ago, Richard Mellon Scaife planted scores of deep sleepers in Guam on the off-chance it might get statehood in the next century.

So I was amazed to discover the other week that Air America is still out there. I divide my time, as the book jackets like to say, between New Hampshire and Quebec, and motoring ‘tween the two on the northern side of the border I’ve taken to listening to the Big 1070 WTWK Plattsburgh, serving not just the burgeoning twin-state market of remote north-eastern New York and remote north-western Vermont but also much of southern Quebec. I’m proud to be an Air America listener, even if I have to go to Canada to do it. You may not be able to listen to Al and Janeane in Chicago or Los Angeles, but once you leave the country they come booming in loud and clear, in the same way that Michael Moore always looms larger in Cannes, in every sense.

What’s wrong with Air America? Well, the trick for Democrats is to be like WTWK’s reception in Vermont – distorted and fuzzy. Distorted and fuzzy are the twin pillars of effective leftie strategy. Remember that favourite statistic of Bill Clinton – that 12 “kids” a day are killed by guns. When you examine the data, it turns out five-sixths of those 11.569 grade-school moppets are young adults between 15 and 19, many of whom are engaged in convenience-store hold-ups, drug deals and other activities which, though potentially lucrative, have a tendency to go awry. But fuzziness (the inevitable invocation of “the children”) makes the distortion difficult to question. And that’s how the left advances its agenda – muffling ruthless partisanship in fluffy talk.

Air America is distorted, but it’s not fuzzy. Take Randi Rhodes, whom I hear more of than anybody else. She’s on from three to seven Eastern, noon to four Pacific. That’s a big chunk of the broadcast day. When you’ve got a four-hour show, you need to be able to nudge the story along – you can’t be making the same complaint about Rumsfeld at seven o’clock that you were making at three. But Miss Rhodes doesn’t seem to know enough to be able to advance the narrative. She has a gay assistant, and the other day she was speaking highly about the attractiveness of his ass. This being radio, we’re obliged to take her word for it. But up at the other end the gay assistant leaves a lot to be desired: he doesn’t seem to be able to mine the Internet for those little items that effective radio hosts use to refresh their take on the issues.

Recently, she observed that Republicans are the way they are because they don’t get enough sex. This seems an odd observation from a host who’d spent much of the previous hour complaining that she wasn’t getting enough herself. The brave few who called in seemed motivated to do so by a gallant urge to remedy this deficiency rather than any insights into the issues under debate. One fellow went on to compare what America was doing in Iraq with the bombing of Dresden, and Miss Rhodes then explained that the Allies had bombed Dresden after the end of World War Two, which suggests she may have been reading the grade-school history primer back to front. The caller then went on to compare Bush and 9/11 with Hitler and the burning of the Reichstag. “Kinda sorta,” said Randi.

Kinda sorta. What did she mean? Was she really lending credence to the idea that Bush was behind September 11th? Or was she bluffing, stalling for time till the gay guy could find a reference book with this Reichstag thingy in it?

It’s a good thing Air America is such a flop or it would cause serious problems for the Democratic Party. Miss Rhodes, for example, has been urging those called up for Iraq to refuse to go – to desert, in other words – which, if I understand his nuances, isn’t exactly on message with John Kerry.

Perhaps one notices this more tootling along the autoroute in a province that’s still home to many graying pony-tailed draft dodgers from last time round. Indeed, in its combination of whiney victim complex and smug Bush moron jokes, Air America sounds far more Canadian than the CBC. I appreciate that “Air America! Nobody covers south-western Quebec like we do!” is probably not what their promotions guys foresaw in the original marketing strategy, but I offer it in a friendly spirit, and in hopes that they’ll extend the benefits of their toll-free number to my fellow Quebeckers. I heard the same guy from Long Island calling on successive days in May, so it couldn’t hurt to vary the diet with Yvan from Trois-Rivieres. Allons-y, Air America!"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Just thought that this line was a most devastatingly apt summary I'd come across in ages - "Remember Air America? The brilliant pre-publicity campaign marred only by an ill-advised decision to actually launch the product? "

Hahahahaha

funny if I didn't describe billions of shareholder "value" pissed away between '98-02

As a regular listener to programs broadcast over the Air America Radio network, I'm glad that the upstart progressive media enterprise does not appear to be "going under."

Understandably, political hacks on the right are expressing a snide glee over the easy rumor-mill material provided by news that Air America Radio is reorganizing, but reports that the network faces imminent demise appear to be misrepresentations of the kind we heard when the network started -- and before it started outperforming leading rightwing broadcasters in various broadcast markets.

The AAR network continues to gain market share as many of its programs top the ratings in major markets even when competing against lucrative right-wing programs such as those hosted by Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.

When AAR started, a commercial-based progressive-format radio network was said to be unworkable by right-wing pundits for the simple reason that there would be a lack of consumer demand. Earnings, however, exceeded expectations and the network continues to grow and capture an increasing listening audience and respective advertising revenues as needed to attain long-term profitability.

Notably, the same rightwing radio pundits who continue to say that AAR ultimately can't succeed because "nobody wants to listen to that stuff" are also pundits who are continuing to lose market share to AAR!

While "reorganization" is not unreasonably associated with an impending demise of a business, it's also a process by which successful businesses adapt to growth and changing opportunities. In this case of AAR, the network recently acquired a new CEO to infuse business expertise as needed to sustain continued growth. And now the new CEO is implementing changes she deems prudent. Interestingly, one of the first things she did was fire Jerry Springer -- not a move that anyone in progressive media would consider a defeat!

Anyway, two points in conclusion: One, what's going on with AAR now is now apparently a matter of growing pains and not a death gasp. And two, progressive broadcast media has proven commercially viable, and it is therefore here to stay -- regardless of what happens with AAR.

Air America Radio. -- Hear it on AM 1090 in Seattle and AM 620 in PDX.

wave.gif

While "reorganization" is not unreasonably associated with an impending demise of a business, it's also a process by which successful businesses adapt to growth and changing opportunities.

When successful businesses voluntarily re-organize under no duress whatsoever, does that process normally include not paying their most valuable employees?

"Franken, in a recent interview, said the network was suffering from "a cash flow problem."

"No cash has been flowing to me," Franken, who makes a reported $2 million a year, told The New York Sun. "That's the first inkling I got of a cash flow problem."

Horn said no decision was made on any filing, and that the network was unsure about the source of the bankruptcy rumors. Franken said it was last week when he discovered that his paychecks had stopped."

I'm sure that there's a market for another perspective in commercial radio, and I actually hope that some kind of left-wing talk format stays on the air for a long time - but I think that the kind of financial ineptitude that has characterized the network's operations since the get-go is hillarious, and is highly symptomatic of people who are long on righteous zeal and short on pragmatism and business sense, two characteristics which aren't necessarily unique to leftists, but which does seem to be an especially vexing problem for their organizations.

.....and is highly symptomatic of people who are long on righteous zeal and short on pragmatism and business sense, two characteristics which aren't necessarily unique to leftists, but which does seem to be an especially vexing problem for their organizations.

Yea. They should take the example of the current crop of conservatives and stick the bill to their grandchildren. Now that's sound fiscal management. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jim

.....and is highly symptomatic of people who are long on righteous zeal and short on pragmatism and business sense, two characteristics which aren't necessarily unique to leftists, but which does seem to be an especially vexing problem for their organizations.

Yea. They should take the example of the current crop of conservatives and stick the bill to their grandchildren. Now that's sound fiscal management. rolleyes.gif

Just my opinion that most Left-of-Center organizations are long on MFA's and short on MBA's.

Just my opinion that most Left-of-Center organizations are long on MFA's and short on MBA's.

That could be true.

In my experience however, most of my friends are a little left of center and damn near all of them are either engineers, IT, or have an MBA. Seems common in Seattle.

I realize this doesn't address the issue of what the breakdown in the organizations are; but I wouldn't think an educated contingency would let people without proven analytical skills run things for them. Just a guess...

That could be true.

In my experience however, most of my friends are a little left of center and damn near all of them are either engineers, IT, or have an MBA. Seems common in Seattle.

I realize this doesn't address the issue of what the breakdown in the organizations are; but I wouldn't think an educated contingency would let people without proven analytical skills run things for them. Just a guess...

Ever looked at the right of center whackjob institutues? MFAs, MDs and DDs (that be divinity - even more applicable than Fine arts......)

That could be true.

Maybe they should apply at Air America.

This is sort of an aside, but another unfounded observation of mine is that people that smart people with a lot of specialized training seem to suffer from a kind of hubris that doesn't always serve them well in fields where things are a bit messier than in the world of say, integrated circuit design.

Franken, who makes a reported $2 million a year

$2 million, for his bumbling interviews? I like his show for his humor and more for his recurring guest ( Oliphant in paticular), but $2 million?

Now Mike Malloy, before he was fired, he was enterntainment. Listened to him when I walked the dog at night, guy sounded like he was going to strangle people on the air

Air America: what a colossal waste of an opportunity. The Bush Administration is an easy target. And they give us: Randi Rhodes. The above article sums it up. 3 hours of stuttering, slobbering bitching about the same subject: "this is just...i can't believe these guys...jeez...morons...God...I mean I...these liars are...it's incredible.." all the while with this heavy metal riff in the background growing louder. Or Mike Malloy, so tactfully winning over the right with statements like "I want that son of a bitch (Bush) thrown in jail!!!" (in screaming voice tone).

Flip around the radio shows and you'll hear current topics being discussed, but flip on AAR and you always get the same thing: Bitch bitch bitch- often profanity laced tirades. Even while agreeing with many points (like, for example, Bush is an awful President), I can't listen to this crap. Tell us something we don't know. Tell us why we should elect democrats instead of moderate Republicans, or better yet Independents (do any exist?) How about something proactive?

I'd rather listen to Michael Savage. Even if he is a violent, xenophobic egomaniac, his discussions are stimulating nonetheless. I even am surprised that I agree with him on a point (usually quickly followed by something like "I WANT NUCLEAR WEAPONS DROPPED ON THEM RIGHT NOW!!!!!" bringing me back to reality).

While "reorganization" is not unreasonably associated with an impending demise of a business, it's also a process by which successful businesses adapt to growth and changing opportunities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_America_Radio

yelrotflmao.gif

Just thought I'd check the Wikipedia entry to get a summary of the manner in which AAR is making use of this "process by which successful businesses adapt to growth and changing opportunities."