Road to Green Giant Buttress

needtoclimb

Two weeks ago when I climbed Dreamer, I was stopped about 1.5 miles from the end of the road because of a huge freaking rock in the rock that had claimed at least one oil pan (evident from the huge puddle of oil on the rock.)

The extra walk in wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy the extra mileage out after full day on Dreamer. So today my girlfriend and I went up and dug out the huge rock and leaveled that part of the road. We also did some road maintenance a little farther up. Now I can drive my Dodge Dakota 4x4 all the way to where the road ends at the clearcut section.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the monster log about a half mile beyond the Three O'Clock trailhead?

That's where the rock was. A bypass road was made around the tree, but the rock was sticking out of the bypass, rendering it unbypassable. I went up with the intention of cutting up the tree, but found it was easier to move the rock and fill in the hole instead. So now you can drive around the tree easily with a 4x4, and I bet a car can make it if driven carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
any secret driving info or tricks

Offer to bring the lunch if your partner will drive?

Drederek is right - it’s pretty easy. Follow the main road to the 8-mile trailhead and keep driving as far as your partner is willing. The approach is well beaten down but still a bit of work. Nice fall colors up there right now.

well, the road, bypass, and puddle are indeed driveable. A friend and I did 'Dreamer' yesterday. My first D-town climb. We started on the dreamer direct, and used urban-bypass + some other off route hijinks to join Dreamer at P.5

.10b Slab climbing seems harder (or at least a lot different) than other types of .10b climbing.

Those two 5.9 underlcing traverse pitches awere great!

I think I'm looking for a partner for Sunday, as right now my Saturday partner says he's out for Sunday though I plan to twist his arm. Anybody wanna do some cragg maintenance or possibly explore?

Send a PM. There are a few things I'd like to do in Darrington before the year is out.

The forecast I see indicates there will be a "chance of showers." Depending on what they say that chance turns out to be, I'll be ready to head up there anyway. I could probably climb Silent Running to replace old bolts there even on a slightly damp day.

But I'll wait and make that call a little later in the week.

Come on Eric.

It's the finesse, mental torture, and running downhill when you fall.

Not all that macho thuggery of sprot climbing.

Kinda like the alpine choss you've become accustomed to.

evils3d.gifthe_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gifgrin.gif

Cheers.

Jimbo

All I have to do is consider the source of that comment. boxing_smiley.gifyellaf.gif

Clearing the road was nice of him. Now could he get rid of that nasty old mining/logging debris?

Thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif

.10b Slab climbing seems harder (or at least a lot different) than other types of .10b climbing.

Isn’t that 10b Urban Bypass pitch amazing? Those little chickenheads just keep getting skinnier and slopier before disappearing entirely right near the top. And hardly a decent stance in the whole pitch. Here's to the original crazed fool with the drill bigdrink.gif

I went up and climbed Dreamer on Monday, Sept 25t, and rapped down the Urban Bypass route. We did the last rap as a single rope rap, and once down I packed up my gear, ate a sandwich, and headed down the trail without ever pulling the rope. So, it should be still hanging there, unless some kind soul pulled it in the last couple of days. Anyone know of anyone who found a booty rope on Dreamer this week?