[TR] Lake Tahoe- Fun Fun Fun 9/3/2006

TrogdortheBurninator

Climb: Lake Tahoe-Fun Fun Fun

Date of Climb: 9/3/2006

Trip Report:

Wife and I spent last week in Lake Tahoe, climbing and doing other fun stuff. This is a great destination for a not strictly climbing vacation.

Sun: Arrived in Tahoe and hung out at condo

Mon: We climbed at Big Cheif, a basalt sport crag near truckee. The climbing was super fun. Some really steep routes with easy grades because of the monster jugs (also lots of hard stuff). This pic is of "War Path" a local ***** 5.9. This is a pretty good crag, but it should ne noted that the approach direction in "Climbing Tahoe" are either dead wrong or outdated.

Tahoe%20011.JPG

Tues: We climbed at 90ft wall by eagle falls/emerald bay. This is a great user friendly crag with crack and face routes spaced every 4 ft. Suposedly the most popular crag in Tahoe due to the easy access, great scenery and easy TRing.

Wed: We rented bikes and rode the world class Flume Trail on the east shore of the lake. If you are in the area, and have a rest day, I'd highly reccommend this ride. It starts with a bit of a grunt (7000-8100ft in 4 miles, steep at the end), but the expanding views allow time to pass quick. Next, after a quick descent you arrive at a lake which is a great place for lunch. After circling the lake, the trail ends and you carry your bike over some rocks to pick up the actual Flume trail. A flume is an logging drainage used to move logs down the hill side. The removal of the wooden framework left behind some great easy single track with impressively exposed views. The trail is pretty sandy, so while not technical, you still have to be on your toes. Unfortunately these pics dont do the trail justice, but take my word, it is great.

Tahoe%20043.JPG

Tahoe%20053.JPG

Tahoe%20059.JPG

Tahoe%20061.JPG

Tahoe%20062.JPG

Thurs: I fished the Truckee river in the morning. Then we kayaked in the lake. Then we went mini golfing. Then I fished again in the evening. Only caught one fish, but he was a pretty good one considering the season and time of day.

Tahoe%20070.jpg

Fri: I really wanted to spend a day at lover's leap, but wife doesnt like multpitch routes, so I needed a partner. Unable to find anybody on rc.com or supertopo.com, I drove down alone with hopes of finding somebody. Got there about 9:30, asked around, found nobody, and started waiting. I spent maybe an hour bouldering at the very nice campground boulders, but the problems are all fairly high, so I stuck to easy stuff. Back at the parking lot, still no luck with partners. Finally around 12:00, I found a group of 3 that wouldn't mind a fourth. I got to play rope gun for a great partner on Haystack and the Line. Haystack is good, some really fun climbing on a cool looking line. The Line is sooo much better though (both get ***** in book). We climbed the route late in the day and had it to ourselves.

The line is probably the most fun crag route I've climbed anywhere. It packs more good climbing than outerspace into a route half the length. 400 ft of climbing bliss with perfect pro and awesome memorable cruxes.

CIMG2776.JPG

CIMG2778.JPG

CIMG2779.JPG

CIMG2780.JPG

CIMG2782.JPG

Sat: More fishing and hanging out on the truckee and little truckee rivers

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8287.JPG

IMG_8330.JPG

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of your pics aren't working, and i am keen to see them. That looks like a fun spot to visit. My impression of tahoe is kinda an over-priced glitzy spot overrun with weekend warrior yuppie types from the Bay Area..... how would you describe the overal atmosphere of the place?

No Mike, the climbing was icing on a large slice of Cali-cake.

Haystack was one of my first 5.8 leads. My partners fell at the crux lip and we were unable to remove the bomber hex I had been belaying through despite some bashing. Now I use cams at the belay when possible.

The Line is definitely awesome.

More like a double agenda, as I made it clear early how bad I wanted to climb at lover's leap.

Blake, not sure why the pics arent working. They should be fine.

The tourist season basically ended abruptly memorial day afternoon, and the whole area (except maybe south lake tahoe), had a super laid back atmosphere.

I just got back from an "alltooshort" 5 day trip to LL (including driving). Cold, rainy, and windy but still managed Haystack, Bears Reach, Line, Surrealistic Pillar and a bunch of Phantom Spires stuff in the sun. 2nd pitch of SP was quite special. I loved it all, and will go back soon for sure!!! fruit.gif

• 3 weeks later...