Colorado Question

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Independence Pass near Aspen. Great rock, great location and you'd be there in time for the namesakes to start turning gold. We did get snow down to 11,500 last weekend. Not much climbing that would be worth a crosscountry trip near Vail or Breck.

Fishing you can cross down Independence Pass and try the Arkansas river.

If you're right there on I-70 then then you'll probably have to head towards Denver to get any climbing. I'd imagine the closest stuff is in Boulder Canyon. There's always Eldo if you don't mind driving about an hour, but the scrambly alpine stuff on some of the 14ers is probably a lot closer. Gray's and Torrey's should be right there, and there's a cool scramble with a lot of 3rd and a bit of 4th class climbing up one of the ridges on Torrey's (could be Grey's - I get them confused). The sawtooth ridge between Mt. Evans and M. Bierstadt is also a cool 3rd or 4th class climb, the West Ridge of Quandary peak is another really cool, long 4thish scramble, and I can't quite recall, but I think there's some multipitch stuff near the summit of Evans. Never climbed it, but it should be accessible by car, which makes it a bit unique. Very high cragging with no approach. Not sure about the fishing there but I suspect there's plenty of good stuff within a reasonable drive.

Here's a link to some info for Mt. Evans, and if you check out the route database on the site you can probably find out what else is in the area...

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado/alpine_rock/mt_evans/105744358

Enjoy your time there and watch out for the afternoon thunderstorms if you are up high. They should be waning this time of year, but I had to flee lightning in the middle of winter when I was living out there, so you never know.

Lumpy Ridge is mostly 3-7 pitch climbs although I'm sure you could unearth some single pitch and rap outings. Eldo is likely to be hot and is also primarily multipitch, but has lots of shade opportunities. I would recommend one day to climb the 3rd Flatiron on the edge of Boulder, which is about 6 pitches up to 5.4 but not a lot of exposure until the summit is reached. It's a guaranteed great experience.

Shelf is great but it's gotta be at least a three hour drive to get there from Winter Park. Eldo, Boulder Canyon, Golden, or Dream Canyon would work for the single pitch stuff.

In guess one benefit of Shelf would be that they could hit up the Garbage of the Gods on the way back, AND stop by and pick up those books that you ordered from Dobson and Co and bring them back for you.

...they could hit up the Garbage of the Gods on the way back...

MMmm.... how I miss those sandy runouts "protected" by wiggly pitons driven into decomposing mud.

A great place to learn to rock climb! thumbs_up.gif

...AND stop by and pick up those books that you ordered from Dobson and Co and bring them back for you.

You could check that Focus on the Family sign on I-25 for bullet holes. There might be one... or a few.

edit: changed Seattle-ized interstate highway numeration to Colorado Springs-ized version. Way to be on the ball there JayB.

Estes Park would be the place for some nice hiking with the family. Lumpy Ridge has a fair number of routes where you could TR the first pitch. There is also a sport cilmbing area in Poudre Canyon called the Palace that not a lot of people know about. It is about an hour drive from Estes Park. It's got a lot of moderate stuff and is well bolted. It does require a steam crossing which can be up to your thighs and pretty cold. Eldo has quite a bit of single pitch stuff that would probably fit your bill.

Photo of the Palace (not mine):

DSC2675.sized.jpg

Edited by mneagle

If you're in Winter Park, you can either make the scenic drive through RMNP and go to Jurrasic Park, which is located just south of Estes Park. I can't tell you how good it is exactly, but from reading up on it, its a lot of moderate single pitch stuff. Lumpy tends to be sandbagged.

Although Trail Ridge Road might be closed. They closed it last weekend due to snow.

Another option is past Arapahoe Basin ski area there is a local climbing area. I've dinked around and did a bit of bouldering and the rock is so-so. But it won't be super far from your location. Do a google search for Breckenridge and rock climbing and you should come up with something. You also might find something along the road on Hwy 40. Toss a rope on it and get to it.

Ironically enough, the Rockies really don't have that much good rock climbing. Lots of loose rock. The stuff I've climbed in the Indian Peaks and Mosquito range tends to be crap.

• 4 weeks later...

If I was at Eldo (or Lumpy for that matter) and limited to only single pitch routes, I think I would shoot myself.

The Monastary is mostly fairly hard sport routes, but there are some moderate ones too.

Shelf road is fun, but not too close to any resort towns.

Independence Pass has some really good bouldering, but I haven't climbed much of the roped routes there. Might be a good bet for what you want. Really beautiful.

Penitente Canyon is also really good, mostly sport (some trad) one pitch routes on volcanic rock (I think; lots of pockets/huecos anyway). Also, not too close to resort towns though