Reap What You Sow?

Retrosaurus

I keep seeing that pic of the chunk of Frenchman Coulee rock with the bolt in it on the site. The same senario keeps coming into my mind. The climber falls ripping out the block, is caught by the next bolt, and then..... tethered to the rope by a short quick draw, the rock zips down the rope and strikes the fallen climber right in the.....YYEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!

Oh well, he was probably a sport climber and didn't have any balls any way.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rock ended up on my porch- I left it there when I moved and was pretty surprised when I saw the picture. Was that picture taken in the coulee parking lot? Or on my porch? Who is the chick, and what is she doing on my porch?

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 05-31-2001).]

The photo was taken in the parking lot at Vantage. I took it.

The rock/bolt came off a route (can't remember) on sunshine wall in late summer/fall of 1999.

It is my understanding that the rock/bolt was not taken off, but actually failed. I was not actually there when this occurred, so I cannot be sure. There was a note attached to it. If I recall correctly it described the failure and stated no one was seriously hurt. It went on to say something like, be careful what gear you trust, even bolts.

The girl shall remain nameless....and she is shacking with some guy. So sorry.

I'd say it is Charlie's imagination that is stalking him...hahaha, kidding.

------------------

Have a nice day.

[This message has been edited by Rodchester (edited 06-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rodchester (edited 06-01-2001).]

The rock came off of air guitar. 10a crack route (highly recommended by the way) From what I heard, it didnt fail. One of the crazy painter guys (if you've spent any time at the coulee you know who Im talking about) pryed it out but it was ready to go- it was one of the anchors off the top. Sorry retro, if there was a testicular impact it would have been to one of our trad brethren, not one of the sportys.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:

I've heard of the crazy painter guys at Frenchman. They pretty much invented climbing over there, didn't they?

Actually, the Prater brothers, Fred Stanley and others of that generation did routes there in the 50's and 60's.

Long before Vantage was a winter climbing destination and there was such a thing as the Gorge at George, I soloed a couple of the Feathers only to find old army surplus pins hammered into the choss. I have one of them in my ancient booty archive at the bottom of my gear storage.

But then if you mean modern grid bolting of the place, then I have no idea who started that mess.

[This message has been edited by ScottP (edited 06-02-2001).]