FLYING w/GEAR?

dmuja

So I'll be flying (within the US) soon and want to bring some climbing gear. I want to do "carry on" instead of checking my bag.

What can I carry on?

Specifically, rock gear, "pro" like cams? nuts? Big Bros? etc? Also, how about shoes, harness, ATC, slings, biners? Is chalk a no-no?

Whats been your experience?

Thnx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'll be flying (within the US) soon and want to bring some climbing gear. I want to do "carry on" instead of checking my bag.

What can I carry on?

Specifically, rock gear, "pro" like cams? nuts? Big Bros? etc? Also, how about shoes, harness, ATC, slings, biners? Is chalk a no-no?

Whats been your experience?

Thnx

oh boy. be prepared for a full-body-cavity search with that stuff in your carry-on hahaha.gif

It kinda pisses me off cuz theres no clear standards really. I don't trust what they tell me on the phone because the "agent" at tyhe gate may just have their own ideas. I remember not too long ago they were allowing sizzors and screwdivers on again of all things! I suppose Ill just have to take my chances on "checking" my bag and hope they don't send it to Miami or some place.. thumbs_down.gif

Might want to take a picture of your bag and itemize the stuff in it in case of loss for insurance purposes.

My attorney might weigh in on this topic as to whether that sort of documentation would actually be worthwhile/useful in the event they lose your bag.

It kinda pisses me off cuz theres no clear standards really. I don't trust what they tell me on the phone because the "agent" at tyhe gate may just have their own ideas. I remember not too long ago they were allowing sizzors and screwdivers on again of all things! I suppose Ill just have to take my chances on "checking" my bag and hope they don't send it to Miami or some place.. thumbs_down.gif

If you don't have a connecting flight, you chances of them losing your stuff is fairly slim. Keep your chin up, it will work out fine. thumbs_up.gif

I just flew last Thursday and basically they are just concerned with liquids, etc. As for gear, I second the views above, just check it all. Its not worth the time and effort. They currently have three people independently checking the x-ray scanner. Someone is likely to be upset when they see a large hunk of metal. To make things faster, I just put my entire carry-on in my checked bag and threw my ipod in my pocket.

Lets see a show of hands from anybody who has had the airlines lose their luggage. Yes, I know it happens - but I can't remember the last time anybody I know had a problem with it.

(The baggage handlers can be pretty rough, though, and you are likely to end up with something getting beat up, but fortunately most climbing gear is fairly tough.)

I know someone was flying from Tibet with irreplacable artifacs, treasures in fact. Gone with their bags..poof! Ive had other friends who have had their bags mis routed but they got them back a fews days later. A stat I read recently was something like 5+% (like 5-10%?) of the time your bags take a detour...

I know someone was flying from Tibet with irreplacable artifacs, treasures in fact. Gone with their bags..poof! Ive had other friends who have had their bags mis routed but they got them back a fews days later. A stat I read recently was something like 5+% (like 5-10%?) of the time your bags take a detour...

Are you going overseas?

The only time I have had luggage lost was when going overseas and having to transfer flights (also out of country) to get there.

I made the assumption, since you cited Miami as a possible destination for your bags rather than say Malaysia, that you are staying within the US.

I think Mattp is right about folks not needing to worry much about baggage getting lost. The system that is used to direct luggage is actually quite sophisticated (a really cool mechanical maze).

Oh, and by the by, it is generally illegal to take "irreplaceable artifacts" out of country unless they are documented and shipped with fore-notice and approval.

Edited by archenemy

I've had shit misplaced both ways on a trip to warm waters south of Florida. Both ways!! Sure I did get the stuff back but......................... after 4 days of a 7 day livaboard dive trip. No UW camera... computer... bunch of crap.

On way home... same deal... 2 days later it arrived at my house.

I can only say be prepared for the 5%!

A stat I read recently was something like 5+% (like 5-10%?) of the time your bags take a detour...

That's pretty consistent with my experience. I don't fly that often, but have had delayed bags on several occassions. That said, I have never had a bag lost, just delayed, and have never met anyone who has actually had their bag lost. But if you're immediately leaving your destination for your climbing trip, a delay could certainly ruin the trip. Perhaps carry-on on the way to your trip, giving plenty of time in the airport for security, and then checking on the way back when time isn't a factor . . .

That's pretty consistent with my experience. I don't fly that often

I've flown >60k miles for the past 5 years. I've had my bags delayed exactly once, for a whopping 12hrs. The 5% is bullshit, 2005 domestic delayed/mishandled bag rate was .61% (roughly 6.1 bags per 1,000 passengers) - and Arch is on the money because >60% of that is mishandled transfer bags. Tight connections increase your odds of mishandling. People who carryon climbing gear (or ski boots, or any other nonbreakable) just want to look cool in the airport bar, take up binspace and fuck up boarding.

That's pretty consistent with my experience. I don't fly that often

I've flown >60k miles for the past 5 years. I've had my bags delayed exactly once, for a whopping 12hrs. The 5% is bullshit, 2005 domestic delayed/mishandled bag rate was .61% (roughly 6.1 bags per 1,000 passengers) - and Arch is on the money because >60% of that is mishandled transfer bags. Tight connections increase your odds of mishandling. People who carryon climbing gear (or ski boots, or any other nonbreakable) just want to look cool in the airport bar, take up binspace and fuck up boarding.

I am just relaying my experience. I have probably flown 20-30 times in the last 10 years and my bags have been delayed twice. That's 5-10 percent. My wife flies a bit more, and her bags have been delayed twice as well.

I think it largely depends on the airline. I'm sure some are better and some are worse.

I don't necessarily doubt the 0.61% overall rate, and I suspect that if I did fly more that my percentage would go down.

I would also agree that tight connections increase the likelihood, but my worst experience was a direct flight from Raleigh to New Orleans, where apparently they never bothered to take my bag off the plane. I got approximately 36 hours later (after the wedding I was attending) just in time to go back to the airport.

In the past I have walked on with climbing gear. There was no problem especially given that the screener knew what it was. Given the paranoia I would say check the gear as it will save a lot of hassle if the TSA tells you to check it.

That said I no longer allow any of my bags to be exaimed withOUT me being present. This allows me to place my own locks on my bags and insures that no one will be opening it with out me being present.

Edited by ScaredSilly

That said I no longer allow any of my bags to be exaimed with me being present. This allows me to place my own locks on my bags and insures that no one will be opening it with out me being present.

They'll just cut the locks. Even the nifty TSA ones. I can show you mine if you'd like yellaf.gif

That said I no longer allow any of my bags to be exaimed with me being present. This allows me to place my own locks on my bags and insures that no one will be opening it with out me being present.

They'll just cut the locks. Even the nifty TSA ones. I can show you mine if you'd like yellaf.gif

Let me clarify ... my bags are inspected in front of me by the TSA. This inspection may be either xray, hand, or other inspection. The TSA then puts my locks on the bags. TSA then marks my bags as being inspected. At that point they go into the black hole. I have been doing this 5 years and for flights all over the USA and the world and have yet to have a lock cut or to have the TSA refuse to inspect my bag without me being present. YMMV

Let me clarify ... my bags are inspected in front of me by the TSA. This inspection may be either xray, hand, or other inspection. The TSA then puts my locks on the bags. TSA then marks my bags as being inspected. At that point they go into the black hole. I have been doing this 5 years and for flights all over the USA and the world and have yet to have a lock cut or to have the TSA refuse to inspect my bag without me being present. YMMV

Yes my milage varied. They just cut the locks.

Yes, you can show up early and get everything inspected in front of you at some airports, but that doesn't work 'everywhere' (which is the problem with TSA, it's not uniform and there's no recourse - some officially permitted objects will be rejected by screeners, some items that aren't officially permitted will be accepted, and official policies aren't always followed, if you complain you are SOL)