[TR] Mt. Stuart- North Ridge (upper w/ Gendarme) 7/30/2006

Gary_Yngve

Climb: Mt. Stuart-North Ridge (upper w/ Gendarme)

Date of Climb: 7/30/2006

Trip Report:

Aaron Zabriskie and I C2Ced NR Stuart on Saturday. It goes without saying that we need to head back next year to do the Complete C2C.

In general I found the photography to be hard. Often we were climbing in the shade or in between too strong of a constrast. The lieback photo had to be made B&W to get rid of a bluish cast that wouldn't go away nicely otherwise.

Does the Gendarme get light in the afternoon or closer to the solstice? We were on it around 11:30 AM.

Pictures (if a photo has me (red backpack) in it, then credit is to Aaron, with a little postprocessing by me):

ztraverse.jpg

zknifeedge.jpg

zuppernr.jpg

zgendarme.jpg

zlieback.jpg

zaaron.jpg

zsherpaflagpole.jpg

zstuart.jpg

Gear Notes:

shoulda had ankle gaiters to keep the Cascadian out of my tennies

coulda had less food/water -- friggin' cold on the ridge, and we were faster than we anticipated

Approach Notes:

Stuart Glacier was frozen in the morning and required crampons with the tennies

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work.

The 3rd photo is the same composition as the cover of Climbing a few months back, minus clouds and with the climber a little lower.

If you didn't place gear on the great gendarme pitches (at least the first, judging by photos) then why bring a rope at all?

Rad, I placed two points of intermediate protection on the 1st pitch. Above the 1st intermediate ledge, and above the 2nd intermediate ledge. They're extended on slings, so that's why you can't see them well. I didn't place a piece for the bottom lieback because it just didn't seem useful. By the time I felt ready to place it (I was far enough off the deck for it to be useful), the difficulties were already over. For the higher ones, I'd rather just climb through the lieback (risking a ledge fall) and have the pro easily placed at the ledge (protecting the big fall, which happened from broken hold or rockfall or act of God).

Gary-

Looks like you saved the Green from the more exposed photo, and then turned up the blues for the sky.

Looks vivid; sorry if this is a layman's analytical view; I only have Infranview, and haven't gotten that far with experimenting yet (though I'm looking forward to what my new Fuji F30 will do) thumbs_up.gif

I have only climbed the ridge from the notch...and after climbing it I thought it was total B.S! I enjoy climbing asthetic lines, and the n. ridge is one hell of a line...but why would anyone want to start at that notch and ruin such a rad ridge. I was dissapointed seeing how far up the ridge the notch was. Really felt like i half assed it...serious unfinished business up there smile.gif