[TR] Knitting Needles- Tour 7/30/2006

AlpineMonkey

Climb: Knitting Needles-Tour

Date of Climb: 7/30/2006

Trip Report:

I can’t remember when I last went on a solo adventure, but as the sun sunk a special feeling set over me. It’s these trips where I always seem to appreciate the beauty of living.

DAY 1

Being alone, I didn’t have to worry about someone riding my tail and pushing me along, nor did I have to worry about being slowed down. There were no decisions to be discussed and no compromises to be made. I could do anything and everything I wanted and it was this freedom that jumpstarted my good day.

I started hiking up the Ingalls Creek trail at noon and blasted the first 6 miles in 1 hour and 25 minutes (Its flat and real easy goin'). From here I begin a steep (3,800 feet over one mile) and slow ascent of McClellan ridge, where 1000 more feet led to the summit of McClellan Peak. From the summit I snapped a goofy self portrait and admired the surrounding views. Familiar summits such as Little Annapurna and Prusik Peak were viewable.

1124761-med.jpg1124751-med.jpg

Soon the light began to fade and a light breeze blow. My tired legs yearned for rest. I chose the nicest, most beautiful bivy one could want near the 8,364 foot summit of McClellan Peak. In hopes of a spectacular sunset to photograph, I choose a spot with an almost 360 degree view, but was disappointed in myself when my tired body woke to stars.

1124771-med.jpg1124781-med.jpg

DAY 2

The following day I took my time weaving through gully after gully in the Knitting Needles taking nearly 50 photographs of rock towers, getting a feel of the area. In two weeks I plan to return for a 5 day trip with a role model friend. I hope to climb many of the “needles” I photographed.

11247101-med.jpg1124791-med.jpg11247121-med.jpg

11247131-med.jpg1124714-med.jpg

Though all the rock is supper solid, I can't immagine this area ever being popular due to the approach. However, it deserves attention. Much potential exists for quality routes.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is water up high, directly east of Orange Tower. Below is a not so good topo of the routes we put up. I just made it quickly and will later reassess the grades, adding plus or minuses, maybe letters after I confirm with my partner. You should go give that yellow and red route a try, very nice 4 stars in my opinion. The wall is about 450 feet tall.

• 8 months later...

Craig, can you name the towers in the photos for me please? SOMEBODy stole my brown book.

Also, Ryan and I climbed the Crystal Lake Tower and we both forgot a camera, do you have any pics of the south side there? We descended above crystal lake and then up and over the very east side of McClellan and back down crystal crk drainage. Nice up there.