fishing in the enchantments

jfreeburg

Anybody know what the fishing is like in the Enchantments now? I'm guessing the lakes have melted out (maybe not though?) and I'd like to bring my rod on a 5 day trip this week. Any suggestions for what flies to bring? I know it's single hook/ barbless but any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I havent fished in the enchantments, it seems that most of these high alpine fisheries are pretty non-selective. The fish have a short feeding season, and will usually take anything buggy. I usually bring some terresrials (I like ants), some attractor (stimulators), some mosquitos, and in case they arent taking dry flies, maybe some chironomids and woolybuggers.

Sorry this response is so generic, but I can't imagine you really needing a specific tactic to be successful.

They ain't picky, but you'll need to be able to cover a few depths. I'd take what Trogdor reco's and add a hopper or two in the terrestrial selection, maybe a couple damsel nymphs and scuds, and a #8-#10ish beadhead wooly bugger in brown or black (because they cast much better than an unweighted wooly with shot on the leader)

I saw some great looking fish up there last summer on a day hike and since I've got a few days to spend up there this time, I figured I might as well bring a rod. I know the fish are up there, and if I can catch something fresh for dinner on my fourth night out there, so be it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out a fly shop today and see what they think. I'm a little worried though that it's been so warm recently they won't be too active.

Almost all the river flows and hatch levels are superb right now.

Do not use a spinner. (A kitten dies in heaven each time you cast something that lame.) Spinner on one end, fool on the other...

Good luck to you!

Have no shame and enjoy your fish dinner.

Flies didn't work except in the evening when anything works. They are deep the rest of the day and spinners are are the only way.

Or save time and eat kittens.

The best fishing is in the first four lakes after Snow lakes.

Even if you do not have sinking line, and aren't planning on fishing with it a lot, don't go out and buy another spool just for sinking line, but you can get tip attachments, or if you reallu don't care, just buy some flies (assuming you don't tie your own yet) that have barbell or bizmuth heads that will sink. Since fish are cruising in lakes, I usually try to spot them or if they are rising, but not what you are throwing at them, use a woolybugger or other streamer and cast right after they rise. It will usually do the trick. Just let the streamer sink a little longer.

I don't think the lake are "fly-fishing only" but single hooks and artificial flies. You could still use a spinner if you removed the treble hook and replaced it with a single (barbless if releasing) as both barbs and spinning gear is aid......

Mepps and Rooster Tail both make spinners with a single, rather than treble. Stores up here stock them because there are lots of "single hook, artificial only" waters for grayling.

But if you use them, you are a wanker supreme. Hardware chucking is for n00bs and loUzers. It's ok to teach your 5 year old with, but a little pathetic for a grown man.

I just looked in the regs and I don't see any special rules for the Enchantments, meaning theoretically bait and treble hooks are ok.

That said, if you have started fly fishing, what's the point of returning to the dark side of gear chucking?

If getting deep in the water is the issue and you only have a floating line, why not tie on an extra-long tippet and put a piece of split shot on?

Exactly.

And who the hell thinks flies only work in the evening? I use flies all friggen day (sometimes I throw a nymph or two if I have my reel with my forward sinking line on it with me) and I get hits all day. With hatch levels where they are right now, you can't go wrong.

God I love summer!

Enjoy bigdrink.gif

Hey have fun flyfishing up there. There are plenty of places in the Enchantments to catch fish as most of the lakes have naturally reproducing trout. If packing a flyrod is more of a secondary to actually trying to catch fish, a small film canister with a few select dries and small streamers are all you need. 4x tippet for the streamers and 5x for the dries works well for me. Most of the fish are westslope cutthroat and average from 6" to 14" with an occasional 15 or 16"er.

You may want to encourage your buddies to crimp their barbs and cut the treble hook to only have one point so releasing the little guys is much easier and also so the ones released are more likely to live after being released. Although the habitat is prolific, it is also still pretty easy to make a dent in the population by being careless.

Have fun out there! It rocks.

Good times!

Who knew climbers know so much about fishing? I had a great trip up there, but the winds were a bi-atch. They let up during the day, but I was out climbing (West Ridge of Prusik, South Face? of Boxtop, and South Face of High Priest) so I didn't get enough chances to break out the fly rod. I caught one on a mosquito and my friends caught a few on a woolly bugger. I only fished at Inspiration but I think they caught theirs at Vivianne. I really wish I could have had more time to fish (or had time to learn how to cast in the wind). The gusts would have made it difficult for anyone I think though- up to ~25 mph.

'Raised my son climbing in NH White Mtns. and catching native brookies for breakfast, in the right places. He and my new daughter-in-law are returning the favor with an invitation to hike with them into the 'Enchantmens' (their new backyard) the first week in Sep. Is it worth carrying a fly rod in at that time of year; if so any suggestions for flies would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice.