Homicides on the trail?!?!

ClimbingPanther

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about how often someone get's murdered downtown, like Pioneer Square at 2 am. Just about every week. Now when was the last time someone was murdered in the Washington back country, not just dumped there. I can't recall one incident. It's a safe place and one incident doesn't suddenly make the wilderness a dangerous place. Let's see where the investigation leads and decide then.

Think about how often someone get's murdered downtown, like Pioneer Square at 2 am. Just about every week. <snip>

CBS, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.

What's dumb about it? It's a slight exaggeration. There were 25 murders last year. That's every other week. The majority of them were in the big city. The majority of assaults occur when the bars let out at 2 am. If you head home before 2 am you chances of becoming a victim of random violence are much less.

so when you pack the glock, is it on your hip or in your pack. "excuse me Mr. Attacker-who-might-kill-me. Can I drop my pack and pull out my 'Platypus' so I can be well hydrated for you assault?" "Why yes, go ahead."

I'm sure on your hip would work but what kind of "experience" are you going for on the trail?

Think about how often someone get's murdered downtown, like Pioneer Square at 2 am. Just about every week. <snip>

CBS, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.

What's dumb about it? It's a slight exaggeration. There were 25 murders last year. That's every other week. The majority of them were in the big city. The majority of assaults occur when the bars let out at 2 am. If you head home before 2 am you chances of becoming a victim of random violence are much less.

A slight exaggeration?

There are a few more factors at work than 2 am and Pioneer Square.

so when you pack the glock, is it on your hip or in your pack. "excuse me Mr. Attacker-who-might-kill-me. Can I drop my pack and pull out my 'Platypus' so I can be well hydrated for you assault?" "Why yes, go ahead."

I'm sure on your hip would work but what kind of "experience" are you going for on the trail?

Six years ago my climbing group ran into a solo day hiker on the PCT section of the approach to Glacier Peak. Guy was in his late 50's or early 60's and had a shiny silver gun prominently displayed in his shoulder hoslter. He was not a ranger. Kind of freaked me out to see a gun out on the trail.

I'm all about guns really. I own several and I'm sympathetic towards carrying and using them (not for bad people though). However, I just can't justify it on the trail. They weigh a ton and are just not worth it. No matter what, it's useless in your pack, so the only way it will do you any good in a quick-thinking situation is if it's on you somewhere accessible such as a chest or hip holster.

That said, how often is someone attacked by wild game? It's way rare. Maybe in grizzly country I might carry a 44 mag, but that's it. Cougars usually don't give you any time to react.

Then we think about the wild murderer out there... So you got your gun prominently displayed on you. So he knows you have a gun and are willing to use it. Think he's going to watch you take it out and point it at him? Over his dead body! Wait, no, yours. Now maybe he'd leave you alone because you're a threat, but only maybe. Not worth the weight for me.

boxing_smiley.gif