Sally Jewell Interview

catbirdseat

Did you happen to see the interview of Sally Jewell, the CEO of REI? It was in the PI Business section this morning.

An amusing snippet:

Q: "What are you doing about the trend toward obesity?"

A: "We're trying to get a lot better at fitting all shapes and sizes. It's a huge challenge..."

fruit.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking Cunt.

Q: You've spent most of your work life in public companies, while REI is a co-op. How is that different for you?

Jewell: It's a wonderful business model, and one that says, "We can make decisions for the long term." That's much more difficult for public companies to do, with the focus on quarter-to-quarter stuff and the impact of hedge funds and arbitragers on stock value.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276440_jewell05.html

Fucking Cunt.

Jewell: It's a wonderful business model, and one that says, "We can make decisions for the long term." That's much more difficult for public companies to do, with the focus on quarter-to-quarter stuff and the impact of hedge funds and arbitragers on stock value.

This translates to being able to buy wind generated power that is not cost effective in the short run and as such shareholders would be pissed. With no shareholders to piss off, REI is now 20% run on green power. Doesn't sound like a bad thing does it?

Do you have any idea how much she could be making working for someone else? She makes crap with REI compared to her previous work. It's all well and good that you don't like REI or what they do but to call someone that is a little much simply because they don't carry the gear that you wouldn't buy there anyways!

Move on!

Fucking Cunt.

This translates to being able to buy wind generated power that is not cost effective in the short run and as such shareholders would be pissed. With no shareholders to piss off, REI is now 20% run on green power. Doesn't sound like a bad thing does it?

Do you have any idea how much she could be making working for someone else? She makes crap with REI compared to her previous work. It's all well and good that you don't like REI or what they do but to call someone that is a little much simply because they don't carry the gear that you wouldn't buy there anyways!

Move on!

I, AS AN OWNER OF REI HAVE NO SAY! THE BITCH HAS SHAREHOLDERS - SHE AND THE PRIOR BOARD HAVE JUST DISENFRANCHISED THEM! wazzup.gif

They've removed the owners of REI - you, I, and every other member - from control of REI. We don't even have the power to write in a majority of the board members. Yup, they can appoint and control the company at will. That she revels in this makes her the most grotesque of female insults - a cunt.

While I might not have chosen those exact words, I did find that comment by her... interesting... when I read it. It really hammered home the idea that REI doesn't give a rat's ass about it's original customer base and it's original mission. Yeah - I know, get over it and shop somewhere else. But for her to say in one breath that REI answers to no one - not even their shareholders as cj001fidlfkd pointed out - and then to say they're going to have to decrease their offerings of stuff in the store to make room for "extended" sizes (for the larger folks) really makes it obvious what their mission is.

I had to chuckle about her comment about trying to compete in the "crazy internet space in 1999-2000." Isn't that when they went and strong armed all the distributors to keep MEC and other outdoor shops out of their US turf instead of working with the manufacturers to bring FAIR pricing to it's members? Isn't that what REI was founded to do?

Fuck em... When you need to purchase something that might not work out... Buy and return. Otherwise you have some great choices. Pro Mountain Sports, Feathered Friends and Second... and many others. I loved the old days but they are gone. It's sad to say but it is. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

I love how folks tend to bitch about how thoughtless big companies are when doing eveything for thier shareholders (to the detriment of everyone else), but then change their song when they are a shareholder. You think a CEO is supposed to listen to your whiney ass b/c you own a little teensy bit of REI? If you really cared about profit, you would applaud the move into large clothing (hello, the majority of americans are fat). I guess having a woman provide strong, decisive leadership on that issue just pisses people off, but whatever. REI seems to be doing just fine, so someone there knows more about that business than we do.

And voting for the president is JUST LIKE bitching about your REI income. Pleeeeze.

Pay attention darling, pay attention. REI is worse than voting for president - your vote for president actually matters!

I complain about REI because they have consistantly disenfranchised the owners (members) and consolidated control in the board.

The only way the owners (members) can get a canidate up for election to the BOD is by a writein campaign featuring 1% of active members (yes I actually received the canidate package). Then you have the possibility of being elected. There can only be 2 writein canidates on the BOD, all other members are nominated by the CEO and BOD. Ergo the owners can effect minimal change over the company they own - the managers control and run the company at their whim. Because the managers have chosen to do some decent things (green power, etc.) doesn't change the cronycapitalism way they now function. Cronyism's ultimately bad for us in both the small and large sense. Sorry if that make me selfrighteous rolleyes.gif

Would I like REI to operate differently? Yes, but I'd like even more to have a say in their operation! If the membership chose the course it'd be different.

Do you have any idea how much she could be making working for someone else? She makes crap with REI compared to her previous work.

She makes 1.3 Million a year, according to a previous interview in The News Tribune. SOOO... I'm not sure that she's really getting the short of the stick.

That said, Sally is a really smart and thoughtful person. and she's DEFINITELY not a slacker whatsoever... I suspect that if you were in her prescence cj001f, you really wouldn't call her a cunt. And if you did, I bet she'd 1. intellectually put you back into the small space you came from, and 2. kick your ass.

I suspect that if you were in her prescence cj001f, you really wouldn't call her a cunt. And if you did, I bet she'd 1. intellectually put you back into the small space you came from, and 2. kick your ass.

faster than poo never is hyperbolic on the web, oh no. But they are someone who can't figure out % increases discussing intellectually small spaces hahaha.gif Yet another retard who can't see modes of discourse differ depending on circumstances yellowsleep.gif

Why don't you give us more gripping tales of the nodder - people really give a flying fuck yelrotflmao.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

As much as I agree that it is no longer what it used to be, I gotta say we should look at some of the good that comes with the bad here. For example, REI put up a major portion of the money behind the effort to reopen Peshastin Pinnacles some years back, and it is not called REI State Park. They were actively involved in the fixed anchor discussions six years ago, and they continue to support the Access Fund (I'm guessing) more than other companies of similar size.

They're involved in some cool projects that actually support climbing and other recreational activities and I suppose one could say that Wallmart does the same kind of thing but never-the-less some of this is OK.

Is it really a bad thing if they make hiking wear for obese people?

I have not studied REI's history, and am not involved in any efforts to "reform" the company but isn't it true that at least some other successful and long-time coops have followed a similar evolution -- look at PCC for an example. Perhaps REI is in some ways a victim of its own success.

Is there any possibility of somebody starting a new coop that would be more like the REI of olden times? Earlier in this thread, somebody noted that they "shut out" MEC. Are they in fact able to prevent a bunch of us from cc.com or anywhere else from banding together and getting some wholesale deals - or is it the gear manufacturers with their "manufacturer suggested retail" pricing that do so - or some combination?