The ethics of climbing Everest

Kitergal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is what Everest means today, I don't want to be within a hundred miles of base camp.

I made that decision years ago. Sad but true, Everest has, in many ways become a bad joke. Anyone seen the documentary where the rich lady (obviously never been on a mountain she had'nt driven up) is wondering to herself "why she came to base camp in the first place" as two sherpas seriously offer to *carry her* to the summit for a fee?

Seems to me that greed, $$$ and ego have a way of fukin everything up.

You have the subtle "greed" of the guide services for whome climbing (getting inexperienced "climbers" to the top) has become a "job". You have the $$$ of the rich who are able to buy anything in life they want - even a carry to the top, and then you have the egos of those who will let nothing and no amount of debt (financial or social) stop them from getting to the top. A microcosim of society as a whole id say, or maybe just the worst of it.

I feel for the Sherpa people though.

BTW - not to stray to far away from "ethics" but if you can (and do) regularly climb 5.4 - 5.6 unroped then (congratz to your ego, you are a badass even if only in your own little mind) please stay the fuk on the harder routes and leave the low fives to those who need them to learn yr "badass" technique. If you climb hard then stay hard or quit complaining about long lines!

Thers some ethics for ya wave.gif

Nobody really knows what happened up there and the bottom line is this guy wanted to solo Everest w/o O's. He made his choice and it was a fatal one. There is nobody to blame but the climber himself.

I personally would like to see any of you hold this man's hand while it's 100 below zero at 28,000ft for several hours while he passed on. Oh, wait.... you... would be dead too... Or try lowering an unconscious person in an environment where if you take a few too many steps without rest then you'll be flat on your face unconscious too.

Also, keep in mind, the guides are responsible for getting their clients up and down safely. Every minute they spend with a lost cause outside of their group adds danger to people they are obligated to keep safe.

I think allot of you are applying a Mt. Rainier experience mentality to the harsh realities of 8000m peaks.

What people should have realized a really long time ago is that high altitude is fucking bullshit, and the only reason one should subject oneself to it is if the climbing (or skiing) is really fucking good.

HELLO! WHY EVEREST? IT'S NOT SPECIAL ANYMORE, FUCKTARDS!

At this point the only good reason not to close the mountain to climbing entirely is the economic consequence.

This is cc.com, here we are concerned with opinion, not this "information" of which you speak. Obviously stupid enough to climb somewhere outside of the Shangri-la of benevolent mountains, also known as the Pacific Northwest, these "climbers" get exactly what is coming to them, for being retards and thinking it's a good idea to go hiking at 29,000 feet.

You have the $$$ of the rich who are able to buy anything in life they want - even a carry to the top, and then you have the egos of those who will let nothing and no amount of debt (financial or social) stop them from getting to the top. A microcosim of society as a whole id say , or maybe just the worst of it.

Are you for real...that is society..thats why I spend my time in the outodoors to get away from city life

For a more extensive discussion about this incident with more up to date information, check out the thread on a website whose main focus is not climbing, but tele-skiing, TelemarkTips.com:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22727&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Holy fuck those people have a lot of time.

What else do they have time to cover? They're crossing over into our "climbing" territory! cry.gif What else? Do they talk about Extreme Ironing?

4x4_Ironing.jpg

050.jpg

Extreme%20ironing%201.jpg

I tried it this weekend...I gotta say..... WHAT A RUSH!!!