Flying with a stove?

Dustin_B

Has anyone ever had any problems flying internationally with an iso-butane stove? I’m flying internationally on American Airlines with a pocket rocket. It would be in my checked luggage. I called AA and they couldn’t confirm nor deny if a used stove would make it past security. They only said a new stove in its original package would be okay. I know people fly with stoves all the time though. wazzup.gif Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my old stove story.

I was coming back from Mt Whitney flying out of Reno. Southwest took my MSR stove at checkin due to it's white gas residue smirk.gif on the used stove. Don't ask me how they found out I had a stove. rolleyes.gif

Anyways it was pain in the ass to get back after arriving back in Seattle. It didn't help that I flew back on the evening of 09/10/2001. blush.gif

In my experience of flying to and from Turkey every two weeks for three years or so, I believe the crucial part of your question is the phrase "American Airlines". Flying internationally on AA sucks enormous donkey dingus. If your bag weighs 500g over the 30kg allowance, prepare to pay the $90. If you want a beverage that contains alcohol, pony up $6.

As for your stove, if you can pressure clean it with compressed air, you have a much better chance of getting it through the TSA security. Coming back shouldn't be too much of a problem, but getting the stove out of the country is significantly more difficult. You can generally politely argue the case and succeed, but not always...I've won three times and lost once before I just bought a set of gear for here and for there.

BTW, it's only illegal to have your own bottle of booze in US airspace. AFAIK, in Europe its perfectly legal.

Hmmm, that is what I was afraid of. I was thinking that AA would have stricter regulations. I think I’m still going to take my chances and hopefully I don’t loose it at the airport. They say “lighters without fuel” are okay, so I don’t see how a pocket rocket is any different (‘safer’ actually). I’m not worried about the return trip as I’ll be coming in on another airline from a more ‘lenient’ country.

I certainly hope my pack is under 70 lbs since it’ll be on my back for 7+ months…. Thanks for the info.

This is news to me. Is that true?

yes. You can only consume alcohol provided by the flight crew.

gary, you are correct, the policy has not changed. because of increased baggage screening (100%) and improved screening procedures, the ban is actually effective now. Previously I had no problems.