Hood/ Palmer

Slog

Remember when Winter arrived on Hood last year? It was about this time 1 year ago (Day before Easter last year) me and my buds got our asses handed to us on the easiest Hood route. Now with much less chest beating and slightly pissed we will sneek up on her and try again this weekend.

We just wanna stand on top now, no interesting variations :-)

Where should we sleep when we pullin to timerline around 10pm?

I dont want a ticket so whats the process?

Do we need snow shoes this weekend? Couple of pickets?

Whats this rumor of snow cat rides to the top of the ski lift? ( That ought get me called a pussy)

Thanks Neoday3

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm... You're a pussy. Now that we got that taken care of, if riding the cat improves your chances of summiting significantly, then, well, okay. It's not like the part the cat goes up is pristine wilderness with old growth ski towers. Just remember that when you you do finish, and are on the way down, are you going to feel as good about the trip if you took a snowcat ride? If you don't think it matters, then go for it. I have no idea what to expect up there this weekend. Probably some fresh windpack snow, fairly consolidated, but if I was going I would bring skis cause I hate postholing. Sleep in the spots marked "overnight parking." Is the snowpark season over, or do you still need a pass? I thought it may have ended on the 15th, but I forget. Pickets if you plan on roping up for the hogsback, otherwise leave the rope, pickets harnesses and all that garbage behind. Don't bother roping up if your not going to place some sort of gear. bigdrink.gif

You need a snow park permit 11-15 to 4-30.

Not sure how anal they will be this close to the end of the window though.

Snow cat? Yeah, plenty enough people "climb" using this method. Have no idea how one hops a ride though (probably group reserved?). If that's what you want to do, then I say go for it. It's not much different from someone starting at 6k' @ tline saying they bagged the summit. One could argue that the only ones who honestly climbed it started in Seaside (sea level). Don't get hung up on someone else's definition of a summit.

Like Liquor said... unless you are roping up, leave all the extra shit in the car. Snowshoes or skis will probably make life easier on the unconsolidated fluff you will find in a lot of places, but isn't absolutely required to summit. Be prepared to fight in spots though, or start early (i.e. midnight) and hope you can keep on the frozen stuff for as long as possible.

I agree with the protection recommendations, skis are a must in my book, and have never been hassled over a snow park permit at timberline but consider it the one permit that truly has value. But bag the cat. If you are going to climb then climb. I suppose Matlock would think you could chopper to 11238’ and still consider it a climb. I have climbed it at all hours but the Mt Hood “experience” is climbing through the night with the expanse of the valley below you but drawn into your own thoughts for most of the climb. Start early and top our early and you won’t regret it.

I think I'll get the permit. another question? 2 of our group wants to go up cooper spur and carry over to Timberline. How long do you think it take to drive from Timberline to the Trailhead for Cooper Spure? We will have to pick up their vehicle.

I suppose Matlock would think you could chopper to 11238’ and still consider it a climb.

Funny, I said "If that's what you want to do, then I say go for it."

Not "Yes, this is the same as summitting anyway, so do it".

When's the last time you climbed it from PDX? Sandy? How bout even govy? Yeah, I thought not. rolleyes.gif

You want an "experience", try experiencing something before you harsh on it. Why assume to pass judgement on someone else's definition of a good time?

Since I've only climb from tline I can't comment on other ways up it, nor should you. wave.gif

Refocus Mates!Question? 2 of our group wants to go up Cooper Spur and carry over to Timberline. How long do you think it take to drive from Timberline to the Trailhead for Cooper Spure? We will have to pick up their vehicle

It takes about an hour to drive around from Tline to gate at Cooper Spur ski area.

Alternatively, it doesn't take any more effort to hike over to Cooper spur from Timberline. It's only 3 miles over there and you start at 6000'. Takes 3-4 hours to cross White River and Newton Clark.

Now with much less chest beating and slightly pissed we will sneek up on her and try again this weekend.

We just wanna stand on top now, no interesting variations :-)

Ummm... What happened to no interesting variations? Personally, I would say skip out on the cooper spur. You are going to have to swing some sort of obnoxious car shuttle, and have a longer than average approach. If you want to go up a different way than down, why not climb wy-east, leutholds, reid, west crater rim, etc? All of which don't require a shuttle, will get you away from the standard crowds, and are more technically appealing. Just my $0.02... Go for it, but if you are going over to that side of the mountain, I would say hit sunshine, north face, etc... I'm also biased cause for some reason cooper spur scares me.

~Nate bigdrink.gif

walking up the TJ trail is a refreshing change from starting at t-line though - being in the trees for an hour or two makes the grandeur of the open alpine slopes more fantastic (one of the reasons i like climbing on most rainier routes more) plus it makes you feel more like you've earned the summit